[Michlib-l] Kanopy vs Hoopla survey

Stacy Pasche spasche at benzieshoreslibrary.org
Thu Mar 8 12:47:20 EST 2018

I had recently asked about Kanopy vs Hoopla and here are the results:

"We are just looking at Kanopy and it appears to be an extremely different
product focussing on documentary films.    We bought Hoopla for the
streaming movies but what our patrons use it for the most is ebooks and
eaudio."

"We actually have both. Kanopy is mostly movies – some great foreign and
indy films, as well as great courses. Hoopla has some movies, but they also
have books and music as well. It’s our first year and we will be seeing how
it works and how expensive it gets. We only allow four checkouts per month
per library cardholder."

"I don't think there's any comparison. Hoopla is primarily an ebook and
eaudiobook platform for us and includes the ability to download content.
The movies don't make up the bulk of use-we have far more book downloads.
Kanopy is a streaming only platform which is only movies and documentaries
and it's more for a specialized audience and to gain access to more
documentaries, shorts and art house films which aren't feasible for
physical purchase. Because it's streaming only, it will only serve families
who have internet availability. We have both and I think the crossover
audience for Kanopy is a subset of the Hoopla users."

"We have hoopla because it is so much more than just films.

It has an incredible Comics collection, (pretty much every major publisher
including DC and Marvel) and has a good variety of audiobooks, ebooks, and
music.  The TV series and movies aren't bad but I wouldn't say it was their
strength. "

"We added both services at the GPPL this year. Kanopy is exclusively for
video content, while Hoopla has a range of video, ebooks, and audiobooks.
Hoopla’s main advantage seems to be in the variety of audiobooks, while the
film selection from Kanopy is quite impressive. They both follow the “pay
per use” model, so you could conceivably add both, and select a relatively
low circulation limit per patron. They are both great services that our
patrons are really enjoying!"

--
Stacy Pasche,
Assistant Library Director

*"Sometimes it's fun to do the impossible." -Walt Disney*