[Michlib-l] eNews from HSM: Conference Registration Ends, Kellogg's Cereal, Volunteer Opportunity, Upcoming Events

Historical Society of Michigan hsm at hsmichigan.org
Fri Mar 16 12:08:29 EDT 2018

Registration for the
Michigan in Perspective: The Local History Conference ends March 19!

Our conference is shaping up to have record numbers-over 600 Michigan
history fans have already registered for this popular conference. Several
keynote/meal sessions are almost at capacity. In addition to our exciting
keynotes, our conference breakout sessions are not to be missed. Check out a
few of them below:

>From POW to Punster: The Story of Sonny Eliot

Speaker: Jane Nordberg, the Jewish Historical Society of Michigan

Detroit weatherman Sonny Eliot enjoyed a successful 60-year broadcasting
career-but he also spent 18 months during World War II as a prisoner of war.
Come hear Eliot's gripping story as a wartime POW.

The Odyssey of Waukazoo's Band: A Fight to Stay Home

Speaker: Eric Hemenway, Little Traverse Bay Bands of Odawa Indians

Join us as we remember Odawa Chief Waukazoo and his band's struggle to
resist Removal and remain at their ancestral homes.

Invading Russia: Michigan's Polar Bears

Speaker: Gordon Olson, Grand Rapids City Historian Emeritus

American intervention in the Russian Civil War is nearly forgotten in the
United States-as is the fact that many of the U.S. soldiers fighting there
were Michigan men.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/conferences/local-history-conference/registration/>
Reserve your seat today!

Friday & Saturday, March 23 & 24, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan

<http://www.hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Michigan-in-Perspectiv
e-online.pdf> Click here to download the brochure for more information and
session descriptions.

<http://www.hsmichigan.org/conferences/local-history-conference/registration
/> Go to online registration.

Michigan in Perspective: The Local History Conference is held annually in
the Wayne/Oakland/Macomb tri-county area and is open to anyone interested in
state or regional history.

Snap! Crackle! Pop! Kellogg's Cereal

In 1898, W.K. Kellogg and his brother Dr. John Harvey Kellogg experimented
with food products and discovered how to flake wheat berry, and in turn,
corn. This discovery led to corn flakes-and the rest of the story is
history. Kellogg's cereal is now one of the most recognizable brands in
American cereal and is sold in more than 180 countries. The cereal box
pictured is a Rice Krispies box from the 1930s.

Are you looking for a fun way to volunteer? Become a Michigan History DayR
Judge!

We need the help of educators and community members with an interest in
history to serve as judges at the Michigan History DayR State Finals
competition.

The State Finals will be held in Bay City on April 28, 2018, at the Bay City
Central High School and will involve a full-day time commitment. The most
important quality for a judge is enthusiasm for interacting with students.
Judges should have a lively interest in history but do not need a
professional history background.

HSM provides training for how to judge the History Day entries, and new
judges will be placed on teams with seasoned veteran judges to evaluate
participants' entries and provide constructive feedback to students.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/mhd/judges/> Visit our website for more information

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan is our state's oldest cultural
organization, founded in 1828 by territorial governor Lewis Cass and
explorer Henry Schoolcraft. A nongovernmental nonprofit, the Society focuses
on publications, conferences, education, awards and recognition programming,
and support for local history organizations to preserve and promote
Michigan's rich history.

  _____

For more information on the Historical Society of Michigan, please visit
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/> www.hsmichigan.org or e-mail us at
<mailto:hsm at hsmichigan.org> hsm at hsmichigan.org.

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan

5815 Executive Dr. . Lansing, MI 48911

Phone: (517) 324-1828 . FAX: (517) 324-4370

 <https://hsmichigan.org/store/donate/make-a-donation/>

Looking for a job?

We have some exciting new positions from our member organizations available
on our website.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/resources/position-openings-in-michigan/> Check out
the job listings on our History Job Board!

History Hounds presents.

Murder and Mayhem: True Crime in Michigan History

Wednesday, April 11

The Purple Gang. The Bath School Explosion. The Strychnine Saint. Our state
has seen its share of crime, and author Tobin Buhk has dug deeply into the
strange and tragic stories of Michigan's shocking past. This program
explores true tales of criminal plots, mass murders, and mayhem in the
Wolverine State.

History Hounds is FREE to members of HSM!

 <http://hsmichigan.org/programs/history-hounds-lecture-series/> To learn
more, visit our website.

Upcoming Events From Our Members

The Northville Historical Society presents "Great Lakes Lighthouse
Preservation," Wednesday, March 28, in Northville.

The Michigan State University Archives & Historical Collections presents
"Arranging and Describing Photographs workshop," Monday, April 30, in East
Lansing.

The Maritime Heritage Alliance presents "Maritime Heritage Alliance Annual
Boat Auction and Garage Sale," Saturday, June 2, in Traverse City.

The Historical Society of Casevile presents "Ladies Luncheon," Wednesday,
June 13, in Caseville.

The Les Cheneaux Historical Association presents "Les Cheneaux Islands
Antique Wooden Boat Show and Festival of Arts," Saturday, August 11, in
Hessel.

 <http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/> For more calendar events, see our
website!

Interested in featuring an event or exhibit on HSM's online calendar and
eNews?

We are always looking to support our member organizations, and one of the
ways we show support is in advertising your events and exhibits. Have an
exhibit or event you'd like promoted?
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/event-submission/> Feel free to submit
your listing via our online calendar registration form here.

This e-mail is sent to our members and friends to keep you updated on
historical activities and opportunities to learn more about our state's
history. To opt-out, please respond to this e-mail with "remove" in the
subject line.