[Michlib-l] Health Insurance Responses

Anna Curtis amzichi at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 28 18:09:49 EST 2018

Thank you to everyone that responded! I received several requests to share my findings, and while I have replied to everyone directly that asked me to, I figured I would share it to the entire group as well:

  1.  We pay the complete premium for full-time employees only.  We do not offer insurance to part-time employees.  Anybody wanting to cover dependents can, but must pay for the difference in cost (nobody chooses this option, except for dental which is pretty cheap, compared to health insurance).  We have a high deductible plan and offer staff the opportunity to contribute to a Health Savings Account via payroll deduction.  Our plan is under the State hard cap for public employees, therefore not requiring that employees pay a percentage of the premium.  Everybody gets the same plan.
  2.  Library is pretty generous with insurance, though it's only available for full time staff.  We cover everyone at 80% whether family, parent and child, or single.  It costs us a pretty penny, for sure!    We also provide dental insurance, though we pay 90% of that coverage.
  3.  We pay the City for financial services. Basically they pay the bills, keep track of the money on an official level for the State and the audits. Because our paychecks come from the City, we can be counted as just another department for them, and use their health insurance, which is very good.
  4.  As of right now, the Library only offers benefits to FT (40 hrs) staff.  We are currently in the process of union bargaining, so this may change.  The Library pays most of the cost - up to the cap they are required to pay.  The employee pays the rest pre-tax out of their paycheck.  The insurance they offer is actually through the City of Westland.
  5.  The library offers the same plan to all, part and full time.  The library pays 80% of the monthly premiums, the staff 20%.
  6.  At the moment we're only offering health insurance to full time employees. The library pays 80% of the premium and the employee pays 20%, same plan offerings for everyone.
  7.  At the Library, the library pays 80% of the premium, and the employee pays 20%. We have a health savings account (HSA) to help offset the cost of the deductible, and the library makes a contribution equal to 80% of the deductible each year into the HSA. For part-time employees who work at least 20 hours per week, the library covers a prorated amount of their premium and HSA contribution.
  8.  We offer 100% coverage for employees and 50% for their family. We cover all full time employees. People working 22.5 hrs a week can buy into our plan, but we do not contribute. We provide an HMO, but a PPO is available but the employee has to pick up the difference.
  9.  Class III library. We have seven employees and two of them are part time. Part timers do not get insurance. Full timers get insurance and pay 20% of the premium. The library pays the rest. We carry Blue Cross and eye and dental.  Hope this helps.
  10. Only the director is covered by the library for health insurance.  That’s the only full time position, too.  The library covered 100% until the Michigan statute was passed that requires public employees to contribute 20%.
  11. We’re set up with an 80/20 payment split: the library pays 80% of insurance premium, employee pays 20%. Health insurance is only offered to full time (40 hours) employee. We currently have insurance through our township but my library board is reviewing plans through MLA as their rates are considerably cheaper for almost the same plan we currently have.
  12. The library pays for 80%, and the employee has to pay 20%.  The library also contributes $650 to a Health Savings Account.  These benefits are offered only to full-time employees.
  13. At our library, we offer health insurance to full-time employees. The Library pays 80% of the premium and the employee pays 20%. After a recent conversation with our insurance agent, it is my understanding that the Affordable Care Act requires that if you offer health insurance to part-time employees that it must be the same plan with the same contribution structure for all employees, whether full or part time.
  14. My library offers health insurance to full time employees only. The library pays 80% and the employee pays 20% of the monthly premium.
  15. We do not offer dental or vision insurance but instead use a flex fund for each employee with the library kicking in $500 per employee annually to cover the cost of dental and vision.
  16. Our library pays 80%; the two full time employees pay 20%.  Part time employees are not eligible for health insurance.
  17. The full time employees pay 100% of the vision and dental insurance.
  18. Our system provides health care for full time employees only.  We are considered public employees so our employees have to pay 20% of the total premium cost.  We also offer dental with the same stipulations.  Vision insurance is offered, but the employees pay that entire premium themselves.
  19. My library offers fully funded health insurance & dental for all full time employees (of which there are three, their spouses & children).  Currently, we pay roughly $3200 a month for health, and $300 for dental. The health insurance is through Blue Cross Blue Shield.

Anna