[Michlib-l] eNews from HSM: Richard Santer Named History Hero, WWI History Day Program, History Skills Boot Camp, Pumpkin Pie Filling, Upcoming Events

HSM Main hsm at hsmichigan.org
Fri Oct 5 14:56:16 EDT 2018

cid:image002.jpg at 01D0250E.A301ABF0

Richard A. Santer Receives HSM's "History Hero" Award

The Historical Society of Michigan (HSM) has named Richard A. Santer a
recipient of the Society's "History Hero" Award for his significant and
lasting contributions to the cause of Michigan history and mission of HSM.

A retired professor of geography at Ferris State University, Santer has been
a longtime member and past trustee of HSM. He has worked to share the
knowledge that Michigan's geographical borders include vast portions of the
Great Lakes.

Michigan Teachers Selected for National History Day WWI Program

To commemorate the centennial of The Great War, National History Day (NHD),
in affiliation with the U.S. World War I Centennial Commission, will be
spearheading a new educational program titled Legacies of World War I. Three
teachers from Michigan, Ashley Stack of Galesburg, Marci Wiesemes of St.
Joseph, and Traci Welch of Houghton, were selected by NHD to participate in
the program.

The Michigan educators and other professionals around the world will receive
access to webinars and discussions about World War I. The goal of Legacies
of World War I is to ensure that the details of the Great War are remembered
and to provide educators with information that can be implemented in the
classroom.

Homemade Pumpkin Pie Filling

It's officially the season for pumpkin pie! Try this recipe from the 1887
edition of The Original White House Cook Book for homemade pumpkin pie
filling:

"For three pies: One quart of milk, three cupfuls of boiled and strained
pumpkin, one and one-half cupfuls of sugar, one-half cupful of molasses, the
yolks and whites of four eggs beaten separately, a little salt, one
tablespoonful each of ginger and cinnamon. Beat all together and bake with
an under crust.

Boston marrow or Hubbard squash may be substituted for pumpkin, and are much
preferred by many, as possessing a less strong flavor."

Registration Open for

History Skills Boot Camp

Saturday, November 3, 2018

Lansing Community College West Campus

Attend a full day of workshops to hone your skills in the areas of historic
preservation, managing a site, reenactors and living history, and more!
Registration is available online now!

 <http://hsmichigan.org/conferences/boot-camp/boot-camp-registration/> Visit
our website to register online.

<https://hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Boot-Camp-brochure-online
.pdf> Download the Boot Camp brochure.

cid:image001.jpg at 01CF8A43.BF828E40

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan is our state's oldest cultural
organization, founded in 1828 by territorial governor Lewis Cass and
explorer Henry Schoolcraft. A nongovernmental nonprofit, the Society focuses
on publications, conferences, education, awards and recognition programming,
and support for local history organizations to preserve and promote
Michigan's rich history.

  _____

For more information on the Historical Society of Michigan, please visit
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/> www.hsmichigan.org or e-mail us at
<mailto:hsm at hsmichigan.org> hsm at hsmichigan.org.

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan

5815 Executive Dr. . Lansing, MI 48911

Phone: (517) 324-1828 . FAX: (517) 324-4370

 <https://hsmichigan.org/store/donate/make-a-donation/>
cid:image011.jpg at 01D3861A.07D4BAD0

CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS:

Michigan History and Chronicle!

Can you remember a historic event from your childhood that always leaves you
smiling? Is there a Michigan business or community that you believe deserves
to be showcased? Have you been itching to publish your article about a niche
subject in Michigan's history, but you don't know where to go? We're here to
help!

HSM is currently accepting submissions for both Michigan History magazine
and Chronicle.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/publications/writers-guidelines/> Before you submit,
review our writer's guidelines.

All queries should be sent to  <mailto:editor at hsmichigan.org>
editor at hsmichigan.org.

Upcoming History HoundsT Sessions:

OCTOBER 10

Can You Dig It? Archaeology at Fort St. Joseph

Come learn about WMU's award-winning archaeology program and its latest
discoveries about colonial life.

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

Wednesday, November 14

with John Beck, Heritage Christian Academy

Riding the Rails: The Pere Marquette 1225 Locomotive

Wednesday, December 12

with Kevin P. Keefe, Author

 <http://hsmichigan.org/programs/history-hounds-lecture-series/> Check out
our website for more.

Upcoming Events From Our Members

The Rochester Hills Museum at Van Hoosen Farm presents "Stone Wall Pumpkin
Festival," Saturday, October 13, in Rochester Hills.

The Castle Museum of Saginaw County History presents "Oakwood Cemetery
Tour," Sunday, October 21, in Saginaw.

The Joint Archives of Holland presents "A History of the West Michigan
Tourist Association," Tuesday, November 20, in Holland.

 <http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/> For more calendar events, see our
website!

Interested in featuring an event or exhibit on HSM's online calendar and
eNews?

We are always looking to support our member organizations, and one of the
ways we show support is in advertising your events and exhibits. Have an
exhibit or event you'd like promoted?
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/event-submission/> Feel free to submit
your listing via our online calendar registration form here.

This e-mail is sent to our members and friends to keep you updated on
historical activities and opportunities to learn more about our state's
history. To opt-out, please respond to this e-mail with "remove" in the
subject line. If you received this e-mail as part of your participation in
the Michlib-l mailing list (listserv), please follow their removal process.