[Michlib-l] The EU & How It Will Affect EVERYONE

lois-sez lois-sez at lois-sez.com
Fri Sep 14 20:33:17 EDT 2018

As a storyteller,I know it might sound like I'm crying "Wolf!", but as a
librarian the tiny aggravation in our Inboxes before on the EU policies
were just a warm-up to a truly Internet breaking policy that affects the
entire Internet.

Today I received this (my own comments follow), also I put in bold type the
part affecting everybody:

   *This is terrible:* The EU Parliament just caved in to giant
corporations and passed a  massive overhaul of copyright law that threatens
to ruin the Internet as we know it.    The Parliament approved the
requirements for taxes on hyperlinks and censorship upload  filters for any
website that publishes content. 1   If these policies become law, websites
like Reddit and Wikipedia could be wiped out  entirely.  And it would pave
the way for similar policies here at home.   But the good  news is that the
EU Council gets its say, and we're going to make sure these devastating
policies are rejected.     OpenMedia is pressuring EU member states to
stand up to corporate interests and vote  down the Link Tax and Censorship
Machines for good. Will you donate to help our efforts?
https://act.openmedia.org/stl-vote-sbs?src=162909 ]     The Link Tax would
affect not just Europe, but the entire Internet ecosystem.  Requiring
websites to use automated content-filtering technology would cost  millions
of dollars and thousands of manpower hours, likely decimating small online
businesses and startups. 2   This legislation stems from pressure from
gigantic publishers who would rather  destroy the free and open Internet
than admit their business models are obsolete.  They  want Google and other
data aggregators to pay up when they link to original sources-but  that
means that we'd also have to pay, changing the way we share information
with each  other. 3   And the legislation also calls for content sites to
have YouTube-style upload filters.  But most sites don't have the manpower
or financial resources of YouTube, which paid tens  of millions of dollars
to put its filter in place. These Censorship Machine requirements  will put
smaller sites out of business for good.   We've seen the effect that
Europe's new  privacy requirements have had on websites we use here at
home-dozens of new terms of  service agreements have come through our email
inboxes.  That's why it's essential that  the entire world become involved
in the fight against the EU's new copyright legislation.   And as a global
organization with campaigners around the world, OpenMedia is uniquely
suited to take up the fight.  ************************************ When
this came up earlier I posted on storytelling sites what I could find about
the  EU Council.   Canadian storyteller who is also a librarian, Elinor
Benjamin, added "I  managed to harvest all the email addresses from the
site so I could send one message to  all of them - freely adapted from
Lois' point. Here they are if anyone wants to do the same. . .

francis.zammitdimech at europarl.europa.eu
emil.radev at europarl.europa.eu
pavel.svoboda at europarl.europa.eu
sylvia-yvonne.kaufmann at europarl.europa.eu
enrico.gasbarra at europarl.europa.eu
mady.delvaux-stehres at europarl.europa.eu
tadeusz.zwiefka at europarl.europa.eu
antonio.marinhoepinto at europarl.europa.eu
jozsef.szajer at europarl.europa.eu"

Please consider how you, too, might respond before the EU Council takes
steps affecting all of us whether we have a website or not, since we all
use the internet.

LoiS(hocked & you should be, too)
 	 		 			 			Lois Sprengnether Keel
			http://www.LoiS-sez.com
 			and blog at http://www.StorytellingResearchLois.com
			Storyteller in MI Arts & Humanities Directory
			and in Historical Society of Michigan Directory
			http://hsmichigan.org/resources/storytellers-speakers-performers/storytel
ler-lois-sprengnether-keel/
			State Liaison for National Storytelling Network
			Webmaster for http://michiganstorytelling.org/