[Michlib-l] RESULTS Does your library have locking DVD and Blu-Ray cases?

Rosemary Retford rretford at whitelakelibrary.org
Thu Sep 20 19:08:20 EDT 2018

Thank you for the great feedback regarding my - to lock or not to lock the
DVD cases – question.

The results are in!

23 libraries responded.

8 of them lock their DVD cases. Most responding libraries are using
One-Time locking cases.

15 libraries do not have locking DVD cases.

Of those 15 libraries, 8 of them store some or all of their collection in a
different location to be retrieved upon check out.

The biggest factor in deciding to purchase locking cases is the cost. For
libraries that only have a few DVDs go missing each year it is not worth
the cost to switch the cases. For other libraries it was a good investment
to maintain the collection.

The most surprising find was that at least five libraries have recently
stopped using locking cases and/or put the discs back in their unlocked
cases to sit on the shelf. The reasons varied including space issues,
locking mechanism issues, and also the time and effort it takes to switch
cases and retrieve discs.

You’ve given me a lot to think about, thanks again!

Rosemary Retford

Adult Services Librarian

White Lake Township Library

rretford at whitelakelibrary.org