[Michlib-l] eNews from HSM: A Successful Conference, The Last Hot 'N Now in Michigan, A Peek at Charleston Tour, New Michigan History, Upcoming Events

Historical Society of Michigan hsm at hsmichigan.org
Fri Apr 12 15:44:31 EDT 2019

Record Numbers at Michigan in Perspective: The Local History Conference in
March

Nearly 725 history enthusiasts-a record-breaking number!-from all over the
state flocked to this year's Michigan in Perspective: The Local History
Conference, held in Sterling Heights in March. The conference included
standing-room-only crowds in several of its 30 illuminating breakout
sessions and workshops, as well as one-of-a-kind keynotes from prominent
figures such as Detroit entrepreneur William F. Pickard, former NBA
basketball player and former mayor of Detroit Dave Bing, journalist Susan
Whitall and Aretha Franklin's sister-in-law Earline Franklin, and Judge
Gerald E. Rosen.

In addition to the conference's keynotes, sessions, workshops, and vendors,
attendees had the opportunity to experience the dancing of Michigan's past
with the Saturday Gala event, "Dancing Through the Decades." Dancers from
around Michigan performed popular dance routines from various eras.

 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5R0nfHe9qg&feature=youtu.be> Watch
highlights from "Dancing Through the Decades"

The Last Hot 'n Now in Michigan

Get it while you still can-the last Hot 'n Now in the world is still going
strong in Sturgis, Michigan. Did you eat at the chain during its years of
operation?

Hot 'n Now was founded in Kalamazoo in 1984 by William Van Domelen. The
popular chain grew to more than 100 locations in more 15 states by the
1990s, but over time as other fast food chains continued to expand, the Hot
'n Now locations began to close. Today, the only Hot 'n Now still in
operation lives in Sturgis, Michigan, on M-66. We visited Sturgis last
September for our annual Michigan History Conference, and our goodie bags
for attendees included a Hot 'n Now sticker!

Michiganders Currently Enjoying Charleston Tour

The Michiganders on the RoadT program is currently underway with a group of
43 history enthusiasts exploring the history and culture that Charleston and
the surrounding area has to offer on the "Southern Hospitality Tour:
Charleston & The Old South." Today, they are exploring the history at Old
Salem Village in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. Old Salem is the town's
historic district and showcases the culture of the Moravian settlement
during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Living history interpreters
staff Old Salem and the group has enjoyed hearing the stories of the
settlement's past, including the history of the Moravian settlement's
200-year-old organ, pictured here.

Michiganders on the Road has more tour offerings in 2019, including:

<http://hsmichigan.org/programs/michiganders-on-the-road/hudson-river-valley
-tour/> Painters and Patriots: Hudson River Valley Tour - July 12-20

<http://hsmichigan.org/programs/michiganders-on-the-road/frank-lloyd-wright-
tour/> America's Architect: Frank Lloyd Wright Tour - August 17-20

<http://hsmichigan.org/programs/michiganders-on-the-road/gateway-west-tour/>
Gateway to the West Tour - October 5-13

We hope to have you aboard!

Dorothy Comstock Riley

A Detroit native, Dorothy Comstock Riley started her career as a lawyer in
the Detroit area in the 1950s. In 1972, she became a Wayne County Circuit
Court judge and in 1976, Riley became the first woman to serve on the
Michigan Court of Appeals. Following her time on the Court of Appeals, Riley
was appointed to the Michigan Supreme Court by Governor Milliken in
1982-causing bipartisan controversy at the time. Nevertheless, after being
voted out of the Michigan Supreme Court in 1983, Riley was voted back in to
the court in 1984, serving as chief justice from 1987 to 1991. She retired
in 1997. Riley was the first Hispanic woman to be elected to a state Supreme
Court in any of the 50 states and, in 2000, was presented the Distinguished
Public Servant Award by the State Bar of Michigan.

cid:image001.jpg at 01CF8A43.BF828E40

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan is our state's oldest cultural
organization, founded in 1828 by territorial governor Lewis Cass and
explorer Henry Schoolcraft. A nongovernmental nonprofit, the Society focuses
on publications, conferences, education, awards and recognition programming,
and support for local history organizations to preserve and promote
Michigan's rich history.

  _____

For more information on the Historical Society of Michigan, please visit
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/> www.hsmichigan.org or e-mail us at
<mailto:hsm at hsmichigan.org> hsm at hsmichigan.org.

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan

5815 Executive Dr. . Lansing, MI 48911

Phone: (517) 324-1828 . FAX: (517) 324-4370

 <https://hsmichigan.org/store/donate/make-a-donation/>
cid:image011.jpg at 01D3861A.07D4BAD0

HOT OFF THE PRESS!

The new issue of

Michigan History

Included in this issue:

Votes for Women: Suffrage in Michigan

Stitches in Time: The Inventive Mind of Isaac Wixom Lamb

Paradise Found: Detroit's Paradise Valley

A Shootout in Muskegon

An Experi-MINT-al Farm in the U.P.

A Tale of Two Sisters

Dancing Rushes and Sacred Dreams: Weaving with Nature's Fibers

And more!

 <http://hsmichigan.org/publications/michiganhistory/> Learn more about

 <http://hsmichigan.org/publications/michiganhistory/> Michigan History

Upcoming Events From Our Members

The Northville Historical Society presents "Lecture: The History of the
Detroit Thanksgiving Parade," Wednesday, April 24, in Northville.

The U-M Clements Library presents "Behind the Scenes Tour of the Clements
Library," Friday, April 26, in Ann Arbor.

The Michigan One-room Schoolhouse Association Historical Society and Bernard
Historical Society & Museum present the "Annual Conference of Michigan
One-room Schoolhouse Association," Saturday, May 18, in Delton.

 <http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/> For more calendar events, see our
website!

Interested in featuring an event or exhibit on HSM's online calendar and
eNews?

We are always looking to support our member organizations, and one of the
ways we show support is by advertising your events and exhibits. Have an
exhibit or event you'd like promoted?
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/event-submission/> Feel free to submit
your listing via our online calendar registration form here.

This e-mail is sent to our members and friends to keep you updated on
historical activities and opportunities to learn more about our state's
history. To opt-out, please respond to this e-mail with "remove" in the
subject line. If you received this e-mail as part of your participation in
the Michlib-l mailing list (listserv), please follow their removal process.