[Michlib-l] Moon landing speakers

Lancaster, Cathy (MDE) LancasterC5 at michigan.gov
Tue Apr 30 14:29:57 EDT 2019

FYI:
SAVE THE DATE: July 15th (4pm-5pm EST)
Join NASA for a Live Webcast Event to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 Mission. This live webcast, brought to you by the American Museum of Natural History, will feature a guided recreation of the Apollo 11 voyage - the space-flight that landed the first two astronauts on the Moon.

It is hard to overstate the impact of Apollo 11’s first landing on the Moon. It was humanity’s first step onto another world, an exciting climax to the space race, and the world’s largest rocket at the time. It was a classic story of American ingenuity — leaving our home planet a mere one hundred years after connecting the transcontinental railroad, and only sixty-six years after the Wright Brothers’ first powered flight.

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/043a7515ceb3ad45bdd2dd405/images/436a3a6c-8f70-4a2d-bc48-aea12d816d19.jpg]Commander Neil Armstrong spoke eloquently about what an honor it was for him and fellow crew members, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins, to accomplish president Kennedy’s goal of reaching the Moon, supported by the combined efforts of four hundred thousand Americans, by the year 1969. This July 20th, we celebrate the 50th anniversary of that accomplishment.

What was the sequence of this incredible mission? Where on the Moon did they land? And how did they return safely to Earth?

Note: More details of the event will be announced soon!

Cathy Lancaster
Youth Services Coordinator
Library of Michigan
702 W. Kalamazoo St.
Lansing, MI 48915
LancasterC5 at michigan.gov<mailto:LancasterC5 at michigan.gov> | 517-335-8129 | www.mi.gov/libraryofmichigan<http://www.mi.gov/libraryofmichigan>
LancasterC5 at Michigan.gov<mailto:LancasterC5 at Michigan.gov>

Sent from my iPad