[Michlib-l] Starting a Friends group

Membiela, Clare (MDE) MembielaC at michigan.gov
Fri Aug 2 18:21:00 EDT 2019

Hello Holly:

There are a couple of resources I can suggest:

United for Libraries, Friends Zone (you will need the Michigan Statewide Membership username and password in order to access this):

Libraries Need Friends: A Toolkit to Create Friends Groups or  to Revitalize the One You Have<http://www.ala.org/united/sites/ala.org.united/files/content/friends/libraries-need-friends.pdf>

Friends Fact Sheets<http://www.ala.org/united/friendszone/factsheets> (many of these will be useful in starting a Friends’ Group- but you will have to login with the Michigan Statewide Membership  username and password in order to access all of them):
These Fact Sheets include:

Friends Fact Sheet #1 : How to Organize a Friends Group<http://www.ala.org/united/sites/ala.org.united/files/content/friendszone/factsheets/unitedff1.pdf>
Getting and Keeping Members<http://www.ala.org/united/sites/ala.org.united/files/content/friendszone/factsheets/unitedff17-4679258.pdf>

Toolkits (Including the one listed above)

            Friends and Libraries: Working Effectively Together<http://www.ala.org/united/sites/ala.org.united/files/content/friendszone/toolkits/working-effectively.pdf> (you will need to be logged in using the Michigan Statewide Membership username and password)

Organizational Tools for Friends Groups<http://www.ala.org/united/friends/orgtools> – includes sample operating agreements, explanation of roles and fundraising information

Book:

Reed, Sally Gardiner, The Good, The Great and the Unfriendly: A Librarian’s Guide to Working with Friends Groups
( Available for purchase from United For Libraries<http://www.ala.org/united/products_services/publications>)

AND

Available via MeL<http://elibrary.mel.org/record=b32383529~S15> from the Library of Michigan

(NOTE – The Michigan Statewide Membership Username and Password can be obtained from membielac at michigan.gov<mailto:membielac at michigan.gov>, your coop Director, or by calling LM at 517-335-1516)

FOML<http://foml.org/resources/faqs/> – Friends of Michigan Libraries

FOML FAQs<http://foml.org/resources/faqs/> – Information on a range of topics pertinent to starting and running a Michigan Friends Group

Workshops<http://foml.org/workshop-resources/> – FOML is a wonderful resource encompassing Library Friends Group members and officers from around the State. FOML meetings and workshops are a wonderful way to learn about Friends groups, avoid pitfalls and get great ideas specific to Michigan.

WebJunction (Webjunction<http://www.webjunction.org/> provides online resources and training on a variety of topics of interest to library staff, trustees and friends)

FOLUSA Fact Sheet: How to Start a Friends Group<https://www.webjunction.org/documents/webjunction/FOLUSA_Fact_Sheet_How_to_Organize_a_Friends_Group.html>

Friends, Trustees & Volunteers Topic: Documents list<https://www.webjunction.org/explore-topics/friends-trustees/documents.html>

Additional Friends resources via WebJunction<https://www.webjunction.org/explore-topics/friends-trustees/see-also.html>

I hope this is helpful! Please don’t hesitate to contact me if I can provide any additional information or assistance!

Sincerely,
Clare

Clare D. Membiela, MLS, J.D.
Library Law Consultant
Library of Michigan
MembielaC at michigan.gov<mailto:MembielaC at michigan.gov>
517-335-8132

The research and resources above are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem.

[MAFIlogoJPG.jpg]

Free Family Resources for Navigating the World of Special Education.
email:info at michiganallianceforfamilies.org,<mailto:info at michiganallianceforfamilies.org,> visit www.michiganallianceforfamilies.org<https://gcc01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.michiganallianceforfamilies.org%2F&data=02%7C01%7CMembielaC%40michigan.gov%7Cc2bb9af3bffa45d1e6f608d6e8451c7f%7Cd5fb7087377742ad966a892ef47225d1%7C0%7C0%7C636951780892915165&sdata=2YcVEv8IVP6xPclZv%2BovDl3A%2F%2Fjz%2BLwkWWYJBDqvhpg%3D&reserved=0>,  or call us at 1-800-552-4821.