[Michlib-l] ALA News for August 6 - Public Library Association condemns Macmillan Publishers library lending model

Jennifer L. Dean deanjl at udmercy.edu
Thu Aug 8 12:23:00 EDT 2019

Hi, all -

Pretty short ALA news this week...makes up for the long post I sent last week! 😃

Hope everyone is well and enjoying these lovely summer days! Thank you to all for all you do.

Jennifer

MLA Board of Directors and ALA Councilor

ALA News, August 6, 2019: Public Library Association condemns Macmillan Publishers library lending model

Public Library Association condemns Macmillan Publishers library lending model
<http://bit.ly/2TenfaL>The Public Library Association (PLA), a division of the American Library Association (ALA), has joined its parent organization in denouncing Macmillan Publishers’ new library eBook lending model. Under the new model, scheduled to take effect Nov. 1, a library may purchase only a single copy of each new title in eBook format upon release, after which Macmillan will impose an eight-week embargo on additional copies of that title sold to libraries.
“We have grave concerns about Macmillan Publishers’ recent announcement, which we view as further evidence of a troubling trend in the publishing industry,” stated PLA President Ramiro S. Salazar, library director, San Antonio (Texas) Public Library. “PLA firmly objects to Macmillan’s policy, which will undermine the ability of public libraries to serve our communities. Macmillan is the sole major publisher to impose such an embargo on library eBook lending.” Read more<http://bit.ly/2TenfaL>

AWARDS AND GRANTS
Freedom to Read Foundation announces five recipients of 2019 Banned Books Week event grants<http://bit.ly/2TbMVoI>

Freedom to Read Foundation reveals Fall 2019 Course Scholarship recipients<http://bit.ly/2TbOxyx>

Ruth Mahaffy awarded 2019 LITA/Christian Larew Memorial Scholarship
<http://bit.ly/33hk0Ec>

Jennifer L. Dean - PhD, MLIS
Dean of University Libraries and Instructional Technology
Distance Education Coordinator
University of Detroit Mercy Libraries / Instructional Design Studio
4001 West McNichols Rd
Detroit, MI 48221
313-993-1090
deanjl at udmercy.edu

[cid:a6c7e36f-707e-4075-9ffd-d62d59215129]