[Michlib-l] Follett Destiny?

Klaudia Janek kjanek at bloomfield.org
Wed Aug 21 07:46:21 EDT 2019

I would say that most school libraries in Michigan use Follett Destiny for
their library management system.There are libraries with 200 patrons and
some with 6000+.  Personally, I love it and I love their new interface of
Destiny Discover.  We got into the Follett Collections game early on (it's
like LibGuides) and it's been a great tool for curation.

We are running the newest version of Windows and it's fine.  However, the
server is running at Oakland Schools and we access it as a cloud based
system.  So, technically we do not host our data at the district level, but
at the county level.  Follett does offer to host your data.  Then they just
take care of all the updates.

They have an active community and will answer your tech questions on
Follett Community.  https://www.follettcommunity.com/s/   That platform has
blog posts and it's a discussion board.  It's the same software as ALA
Connect.

MAME has been offering some Follett workshops/training.  We have also had a
pretty active county user group -- however, this year we do not have
someone to organize it so I am not sure what will happen.  We had a good
one last spring.

Best-
Klaudia

Klaudia Janek, MLIS

*School Librarian*

*IB Extended Essay Coordinator*

*Michigan Association for Media in Education - 2019 Immediate Past
President*

*AASL **Frances Henne Award Committee Chair - 2019*

248 341 5925

http://iamediacenter.blogspot.com

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 12:05 PM Mary Harrison via Michlib-l <
michlib-l at mcls.org> wrote:

> Hello Library Land,
>
>   Is anyone else using Follett Destiny?  I’d be interested to hear if you
> are having any issues.  We are planning to upgrade to Windows 2019 and set
> up new computers for public and staff.  We have been limping along with
> Windows 2007.
>

> However, according to Follett, their newest version of Destiny doesn’t go
> beyond Windows 2008.  I am wondering if they plan to get out of the
> circulation system game entirely—we plan to ask them.
>

> Anyone else doing upgrades and having this concern?  We have to upgrade
> finally, but Destiny might not be able to come with. Depending on how it
> goes, I may soon send out another email asking for advice on new systems!
>

> Thanks for responses, Mary
>

> Mary Jean Harrison
>
> Library Director
>
> Coloma Public Library
>
> 151 W. Center Street
>
> P.O. Box 430
>
> Coloma, MI 49038-0430
>
> 269-468-3431
>

> The most important asset of any library goes home at night – the library
> staff.
>
> Timothy Healy

*International Academy*

www.iatoday.org <http://www.iatoday.org>