[Michlib-l] Traverse Area District Library Director to Retire in September 2019

Matthew Wiliford mwiliford at tadl.org
Tue Aug 27 12:09:05 EDT 2019

For Immediate Release

Contact:
Matt Wiliford
Marketing & Communications Manager
Traverse Area District Library
mwiliford at tadl.org
Ph: 231.932.8501

Traverse Area District Library Director to Retire in September 2019

August 27, 2019 (Traverse City, MI) – Traverse Area District Library (TADL)
Director Gail Parsons Juett will retire from her position effective
September 30, 2019. She was named Library Director in February 2015 and,
under her leadership, strove to ensure financial stability and reduce
long-term liabilities while advancing the public services of the Traverse
Area District Library.

“It has been a tremendous honor to serve our libraries and communities over
the past almost eleven years at TADL, especially the past four years as
Library Director,” said Juett. “We’ve been able to accomplish a lot during
this time because of our very talented and dedicated staff, engaged
partners, thoughtful Trustees, generous donors, and a supportive community.
As I reflect on my time at TADL, I feel privileged to have led the best
library system in our state and I know that our library system and
communities will continue to thrive under new leadership.”

First joining TADL in 2008 as the Business Manager, Juett was later
promoted to Assistant Director for Human Resources and Finance. She served
as the district library’s Interim Director beginning in May 2014, until her
permanent appointment as Library Director in February 2015.

During her tenure as Director, Juett successfully led the 2016 Operating
Millage renewal ballot proposal, was responsible for moving TADL to the
Northland Library Cooperative, and secured a favorable exemption of TADL
from the TIF2 tax capture. Other notable achievements led by Juett include
retiring the mortgage bond for the Main Library building, negotiating the
acceptance of the Traverse City History Center collection of archives and
objects, addition of the Charles Saunders Jazz Collection, and a renovation
of the Youth Services Department including development of the Read to Me
corner, Preschool Interactive Learning Area and the Tween Scene, which were
funded through private donations.

She served on the Michigan Library Association as Treasurer for three
years, as Michigan Library Association (MLA) Board Member and MLA liaison
to the Board of the Library of Michigan. She has been an active member of
the Traverse City Kiwanis Club since 2009, serving as Club President in
2015-16. In 2017, Juett became a member of the National Writers Series
Board.

Prior to moving to the Grand Traverse area, Juett worked at the Public
Libraries of Saginaw for 26 years, most recently holding the position of
Head of Hoyt Main Library.

The Board of Trustees for the Traverse Area District Library invites
colleagues and the community to celebrate Juett’s work on September 22 from
1:00-3:00 p.m., at the TADL Main Library (610 Woodmere Avenue, Traverse
City, MI 49686).

At the Regular Meeting of the TADL Board of Trustees on June 20, 2019, the
Board approved a contract to hire Michele Howard as the incoming
director-select. Howard’s official directorship begins on October 1, 2019.

###

Matthew Wiliford

Marketing & Communications Manager

Traverse Area District Library