[Michlib-l] Question about handling money

Steven Kish skish at ltu.edu
Thu Dec 19 10:33:51 EST 2019

I am trying to understand what the actual issue is here. Is it loss
prevention? (If so, is there an actual history of loss here?)  Do you keep
a ledger of monies received vs forgiven? Or is it that those in charge of
collecting funds are arbitrarily forgiving debt?

I can't really speak to best practices from my library, but in my previous
career I managed a bank and you can feel free to email me if you need some
advice on putting cash controls in place. I agree that whatever solution
you come to shouldn't impact your patrons.

Steven Kish

On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 10:07 AM Anita Chouinard via Michlib-l <
michlib-l at mcls.org> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Recently it has come up that the same staff receiving payments for fines
> and fees shouldn't be the same staff who can also forgive those same fines
> and fees. In our library it is all centralized at our Circ desk, and our
> Circ staff deals with all monetary transactions. It has never been an issue
> before, but now our Business Manager thinks it could become one for our
> auditors. I feel it would be a major inconvenience to our patrons if we
> have to find another staff person to witness the transaction everytime we
> forgive a fine. Looking for feedback to see what other libraries do.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Anita Chouinard
> Circulation Coordinator
> Traverse Area District Library

*Steven Kish*

*Reference LibrarianLawrence Technological University Library21000 West Ten
Mile RoadSouthfield, MI, 48075-1058(248) 204-3000*
*skish at ltu.edu <skish at ltu.edu>*