[Michlib-l] Youth and Teen Services Coordinator Position

Robyn Lowenstein rlowenstein at plymouthlibrary.org
Thu Dec 19 10:56:41 EST 2019

The Plymouth District Library - job posting for full-time Youth and Teen Services Coordinator. See the posting below, or visit plymouthlibrary.org for more information.
Plymouth District Library – Job Posting

Plymouth District Library – Job Posting
[ http://plymouthlibrary.org/ | http://plymouthlibrary.org ]

TITLE: Youth and Teen Services Coordinator
Full time – 40 hours per week
Schedule includes daytime, evening, and weekend hours
Salary $57,000.00 - $72,700.00

The Plymouth District Library is seeking an innovative, energetic, versatile Youth and Teen Services Coordinator. The ideal candidate will provide excellent customer service and outreach to the community and schools and serve as a strong library advocate. This position will inspire library staff to try new and creative ventures to improve library services. This positon will have knowledge of library best practices and expertise with digital and print resources in both Youth and Teen Services.

OUR LIBRARY AND COMMUNITY:
The library’s mission is to connect, enrich, and improve lives through information, services, and spaces. Our core values are: access, literacy, community destination, and personalized service.

The Plymouth District Library is located in busy downtown Plymouth, MI, midway between Detroit and Ann Arbor. The library is a member of The Library Network. We serve the Plymouth community which is comprised of 36,650 residents living in the City of Plymouth and the Charter Township of Plymouth, as well as the patrons of 75 Detroit-area libraries through a reciprocal borrowing agreement facilitated by The Library Network.

The library serves as a significant community hub and maintains strong partnerships with local and regional community groups, governments, schools, businesses, and cultural organizations. Plymouth’s rich history has included the library for nearly 100 years. Strong community support has resulted in a dedicated perpetual millage, a robust Friends organization, and more than 100 adult volunteers. Almost 1,000 visitors a day use the library to participate in programs, use our meeting and study rooms, borrow materials, use technology, and connect with others. In addition we serve a growing and robust digital community 24/7.

The library recently completed a multi-million dollar building repair project which included facility upgrades to improve accessibility and energy efficiencies and maintain our over twenty- year- old building for generations to come. Significant network and technology infrastructure improvements were completed recently.

The library contributes significantly to the high quality of life available in the Plymouth community. Our sense of community is created by beautiful neighborhoods, spacious parks, robust sport, education system, cultural and arts organizations, and dedicated community service organizations. Our vibrant, walkable downtown is full of unique shops, restaurants, entertainment and recreational options, all surrounding Kellogg Park as the centerpiece and host of year-round events. The library is just steps from all of this in our central downtown location and plays an active role in community events.

The elected Board of Trustees and the Directors of the Friends Board are all committed to meeting the needs of the community, now and into the future. Dedicated customer service ideals drive our 70 staff members at all levels. We know our customers, and work tirelessly to serve their needs, listen to their concerns and make decisions accordingly. These practices are for those who come through the front door and those whom we serve outside of the library either off site or via digital services. We are committed to help the library remain a hub of activity in our community and a leader in the library world.

Plymouth District Library – Job Posting
[ http://plymouthlibrary.org/ | http://plymouthlibrary.org ]

TITLE: Youth and Teen Services Coordinator
Full time – 40 hours per week
Schedule includes daytime, evening, and weekend hours
Salary $57,000.00 - $72,700.00

POSITION SUMMARY AND DUTIES:
Directs and coordinates services and staff in the Youth and Teen departments through the application of professional library principals and broad general knowledge. Develops and administers basic library services for youth and teens and directs and supervises the acquisition of materials appropriate to the informational, recreational and cultural needs of toddler age through twelfth grade. Plans, implements and evaluates efficient procedures; organizes and manages departmental operations within the total library framework. Provides direct reference, bibliographic instruction and reader’s advisory service to library patrons of all ages using the full-range of resources available. Active participant in youth services programming. Works with department librarians to coordinate youth and teen programming.
This is a full-time (40 hours per week), permanent position.

Salary and Benefits
 $57,000.00 - $72,700.00, with opportunity for growth to $82,100.00. (Pay grade 12)
 Paid vacation, holiday, and sick time. Employer paid life and disability insurance.
 Medical insurance, dental insurance, 457B deferred contribution plan benefits.
 VEBA (retiree health care) benefit, after 10 years of employment.
 MERS defined benefit pension plan, with a vesting of 8 years.
 Continuing education opportunities, both regional and national.

REPORTS TO: Library Director

Minimum Qualifications:
 MLIS/MIS from an ALA accredited university.
 Five years of experience providing direct customer service in youth and teen services.
 Five years of library experience with increasing responsibility.

Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
 Interpersonal and judgmental skills necessary to work effectively with library staff and patrons in a busy environment.
 Ability to communicate effectively by phone, computer, and in person.
 Accuracy and attention to detail.
 Strong public service commitment and positive attitude.
 Ability to work under pressure.
 Supports library's strategic plan and goals.
 Ability to serve as the library’s representative for community and professional organizations.
 Creates, promotes and participates in library outreach activities.
 Evaluates scope and effectiveness of current programs and services.
 Compiles monthly and annually, statistical and analytical reports.

Preferred Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
 Five years of supervisory experience.
 Teaching/training experience.
 Public speaking skills.

SEND COVER LETTER AND RESUME TO:
Robyn Lowenstein
Business/Human Resource Manager
humanresources at plymouthlibrary.org
223 S. Main Street
Plymouth, MI 48170

DEADLINE: Friday, January 10, 2020 by 3:00pm

This announcement is only a summary of the position, its duties, job requirements and compensation. Further information is available from the library. The Plymouth District Library does not discriminate in its employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, sex, age, height, weight, marital status, veteran status, or disability. We provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with a disability if requested.

Robyn Lowenstein
Plymouth District Library
Business and Human Resources Administrator
rlowenstein at plymouthlibrary.org
(734) 453-0750 ext. 215