[Michlib-l] Digital Access to WSJ Copyright Question

Robert P. Holley aa3805 at wayne.edu
Wed Feb 6 12:26:05 EST 2019

Here is what I found when I searched for the license agreement for the WSJ.

http://interactive.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/reprints-wsj-terms.html

Terms of Use -- WSJ.com<http://interactive.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/reprints-wsj-terms.html>
interactive.wsj.com
Terms of Use. You may download, reformat and print a limited amount of WSJ.com content for your personal, non-commercial use. You may also include excerpts or limited ...

While copyright including fair use applies to print resources, the licensing agreement takes precedence for digital resources. While I'm not a lawyer, I suspect that printing out digital articles would violate these terms of use. You could probably use the digital version to find an article and then copy it from the print version, but I would guess that most libraries discard print copies rather quickly.

Bob

Dr. Robert P. Holley

Professor Emeritus, Wayne State University

13303 Borgman Avenue

Huntington Woods, MI  48070-1005

email: aa3805 at wayne.edu

phone: 248-547-0306