[Michlib-l] eNews from HSM: Historical Writing Workshop, Charleston Tour, Remembering John Dingell, Upcoming Events

Historical Society of Michigan hsm at hsmichigan.org
Fri Feb 8 15:26:08 EST 2019

Don't miss our next History Skills Workshop!

Telling the Tale: Jump-Starting

Your Historical Writing Project

with Frances Kai-Hwa Wang, Journalist, Essayist, and Educator

Jump-start your memoir or historical writing project. If you have been
meaning to write, either for publication or for your grandchildren, but are
having difficulty getting started, why not start here, one sentence at time?
Come to learn short writing exercises, tips and tricks, and more to overcome
barriers to writing.

Seating is limited! Reserve your spot now.

Workshops start at 9 a.m. at the Meijer Education Center

at the Historical Society of Michigan,

5815 Executive Dr., Lansing, Michigan.

Participants can "attend" remotely too.

 <http://www.hsmichigan.org/programs/workshops/> Learn more and register on
our website.

Remembering former congressman John Dingell

It is with great sadness that we note the passing of former Representative
John Dingell, America's longest serving congressman and a proud Michigander.
Dingell served in the House of Representatives for 59 years between 1955 to
2015, during which he served under 11 presidents and cast 28,551 votes.
During that time, Dingell also served on the Energy and Commerce Committee
for nearly 58 years, making him the longest serving member on any
congressional committee. Our thoughts and prayers go to his family during
this time. Pictured is Dingell being sworn in by the Speaker of the House,
Sam Rayburn, in 1955.

Join Michiganders on the RoadT

on our 9-day, 8-night tour coming this May!

<http://hsmichigan.org/programs/michiganders-on-the-road/southern-hospitalit
y-tour2/>

Enjoy one of America's most historic and beautiful cities-Charleston, South
Carolina-on our 9-day, 8-night Southern Hospitality Tour: Charleston & The
Old South, from May 1 to 9, 2019. We will also experience the Biltmore
Estate, a Barrier Islands eco-tour, Fort Sumter, the Patriots Point Naval &
Maritime Museum, Old Salem Village, and much more!

<https://hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/SouthernHospitality_Itine
rary_May.pdf> See the full tour itinerary.

<http://hsmichigan.org/programs/michiganders-on-the-road/southern-hospitalit
y-registration2/> Register online for this tour.

<https://hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/SouthernHospitality_Regis
tration_May.pdf> Download the registration form.

$1,995*

Calling all volunteers! Michigan History DayR is in need of history
enthusiasts to volunteer as judges

We need the help of individuals with an interest in history and education to
serve as judges at the Michigan History DayR State Finals in Bay City on
April 27, 2019. The most important qualities for a judge are strong common
sense and an enthusiasm for interacting with students. Judges should have a
lively interest in history but do not need a specific background in history.
We provide training on how to judge the students' projects, and you will be
placed on teams with experienced judges.

Judges evaluate the participants' entries and provide constructive feedback
to the students. As part of the judging process, you will have the
opportunity to interview the students who created the projects. One of the
pleasures of judging at Michigan History Day is meeting students who possess
a passion for their topic!

 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtwHAA2_y7U&t=3s> Watch our Michigan
History DayR video.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/mhd/mhd-judges-form/> Become a judge!

cid:image001.jpg at 01CF8A43.BF828E40

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan is our state's oldest cultural
organization, founded in 1828 by territorial governor Lewis Cass and
explorer Henry Schoolcraft. A nongovernmental nonprofit, the Society focuses
on publications, conferences, education, awards and recognition programming,
and support for local history organizations to preserve and promote
Michigan's rich history.

  _____

For more information on the Historical Society of Michigan, please visit
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/> www.hsmichigan.org or e-mail us at
<mailto:hsm at hsmichigan.org> hsm at hsmichigan.org.

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan

5815 Executive Dr. . Lansing, MI 48911

Phone: (517) 324-1828 . FAX: (517) 324-4370

 <https://hsmichigan.org/store/donate/make-a-donation/>
cid:image011.jpg at 01D3861A.07D4BAD0

We have some exciting events planned for 2019.don't miss these exciting
offerings!

 <http://hsmichigan.org/programs/history-hounds-lecture-series/> History
Hounds Lecture

Wednesday, February 13

Murder and Mayhem II: True Crime in Michigan History

 <http://hsmichigan.org/programs/workshops/> History Skills Workshop

Friday, February 15

Telling the Tale: Jump-Starting Your Historical Writing Project

 <http://hsmichigan.org/programs/workshops/> History Skills Workshop

Friday, March 8

Archives 101

 <http://hsmichigan.org/programs/history-hounds-lecture-series/> History
Hounds Lecture

Wednesday, March 13

Grist for the Mill: Holland's DeZwaan Windmill

CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS:

Michigan History and Chronicle!

Can you remember a historic event from your childhood that always leaves you
smiling? Is there a Michigan business or community that you believe deserves
to be showcased? Have you been itching to publish your article about a niche
subject in Michigan's history, but you don't know where to go? We're here to
help!

HSM is currently accepting submissions for both Michigan History magazine
and Chronicle.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/publications/writers-guidelines/> Before you submit,
review our writer's guidelines.

All queries should be sent to  <mailto:editor at hsmichigan.org>
editor at hsmichigan.org.

Upcoming Events From Our Members

The Greater West Bloomfield Historical Society presents "Indoor Games Open
House," Sunday, February 10, in Orchard Lake.

The Commerce Township Community Library presents "Michigan's Journey to
Statehood," Saturday, March 9, in Commerce Township.

The Genealogical Society of Monroe County, Michigan presents the "42nd
Annual Spring Seminar," Saturday, March 16, in Monroe.

 <http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/> For more calendar events, see our
website!

Interested in featuring an event or exhibit on HSM's online calendar and
eNews?

We are always looking to support our member organizations, and one of the
ways we show support is by advertising your events and exhibits. Have an
exhibit or event you'd like promoted?
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/event-submission/> Feel free to submit
your listing via our online calendar registration form here.

This e-mail is sent to our members and friends to keep you updated on
historical activities and opportunities to learn more about our state's
history. To opt-out, please respond to this e-mail with "remove" in the
subject line. If you received this e-mail as part of your participation in
the Michlib-l mailing list (listserv), please follow their removal process.