[Michlib-l] Magazine subscriptions through Amazon?

Paul McCann pmccann at dexter.lib.mi.us
Tue Feb 12 14:59:19 EST 2019

Hi Dana,

I am not a fan of Amazon's billing for our corporate account.  We use
them as a secondary for books, A/V, requests, miscellaneous items, etc.
I think their monthly statement could be streamlined. They have also
stopped including any backup documentation with shipments.

Amazon has some very eye catching magazine prices, but these seem to be
introductory offers that would generate a full bill after three months
or so.  One that stood out to me was "The Economist."  It looks like a
great deal at $12, but this is a 3 month initial subscription with
auto-renew.  Their standard year is $152 with auto renew and that is $25
higher than our rate through our regular vendor.  Prices fluctuate from
magazine to magazine.  Marie Claire seems to be almost free.  Harper's
is double our jobber's price. Midwest Living is 1/3 the price.  I would
be wary of unexpected price increases through auto-renew.

It would be interesting to know how Amazon handles claims for missed
issues.  The standard magazine jobbers are pretty good at getting
replacements or getting the subscription extended when issues fail to
show up.

Over the years, we have switched between Faxon (defunct), Ebsco, WT Cox,
Ebsco and we're now with Rivistas.  We haven't used Popular. All offered
competitive pricing, especially to lure new business. They also offer a
different level of service targeted to libraries. If these are ephemeral
items in your collection and it doesn't matter if they arrive or come
back, Amazon might work.  I am skeptical that Amazon would provide the
same level of service as a subscription manager.  You may find you are
managing all your subscriptions individually with the publishers, which
would create more work for staff unless the collection is considered
disposable.

I would recommend putting your package of titles together and shopping
it to all the jobbers that service libraries.  None will be able to
match some of Amazon's prices, but the comparison will give you the best
reasonable prices, the annual opportunity to see price increases and
cancel subscriptions as necessary.  Hope that helps some.

Paul

Paul McCann				Dexter District Library
Library Director			3255 Alpine St.
Phone: 734-426-4477			Dexter, MI 48130