[Michlib-l] pay it forward service question

Lisa Waskin lisaw at uproc.lib.mi.us
Tue Feb 12 16:58:54 EST 2019

We have recently had a lot of homeless patrons in the library, or people who
just can't afford a cup of coffee.  I saw a restaurant where people could
buy a meal for someone (pre-pay) and then people who are hungry can go there
and get a free meal when they need it.  I would like to do the same thing
with the Friends of the Library Browse and Brew coffee bar here at the
library.  It wouldn't affect the money since people would be paying ahead,
and no credit extended, and it might actually generate a little more money
for the FOL, since people might buy several at a time when they buy
themselves a cup.  I would want to limit it to one per day per patron, but I
think it would be a nice thing to have available here.  It won't affect
their bottom line, but it would probably mean purchasing coffee/cups/etc.
more often.

Are there any libraries out there that are doing a Pay if Forward kind of
program for coffee now?  If so, I would appreciate any advice, things to do
or not do, pitfalls we may not have thought of, and so on.

Based on the number of times I have had my toll paid for me at the bridge by
the car in front of me, I know this is a very giving community when it comes
to paying it forward.  The recent government shut down brought out the best
in people as restaurants and stores offered free food and meals to all
personnel not receiving a paycheck.  I think this could be a great program,
but want to do it the best way possible.  No reason to reinvent the wheel.

I appreciate all of your help in advance.

Warm Regards,

Lisa

Lisa Waskin, Director

Superior District Library