[Michlib-l] Fine Forgiveness Compilation

Myla Stuart mylastuart at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 16 15:05:31 EST 2019

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my fine forgiveness questions.  Below is a compiled list of responses, broken down between general amnesty and food for fines program.  Thank you so much!
FINEFORGIVENESS RESPONSES:

Angela Pike, LibraryDirector Sebewaing Township Library: Our library has had amnesty week (fineforgiveness) in the past.  It was held in conjunction with NationalLibrary Week in April. We did not forgive outstanding (past) fines, only finesthat were on items returned during the amnesty week.

MaryanneBartles Library Director Dearborn Public Library: In 2016, to celebrate the 50th anniversaryof the groundbreaking of our main library (Henry Ford Centennial), we did amajor fine forgiveness program.  Our goal was to get patrons back who wereregular library users but their fines were preventing them from using thelibrary.  Here’s a summary of the rules which were approved by our LibraryCommission:
For the duration of the amnesty,
                        ·Waive accruedfines up to $100
                        ·Not waive finesunless the patron agrees to renew their library card
                        ·Not waive finesfor lost books unless the cardholder returns these books·Restrict theeligibility for this waive to patrons currently eligible for a library card
            The amnesty period lastedabout 2 weeks.  Patrons had to visit the library in-person to takeadvantage of the program.  LOL – I doubt patrons are waiting another 50years for the next one.  I think they realize it was a “special” program. That doesn’t mean we won’t do it again – we just are not telling them it mighthappen again. 475 people took advantage of the program.  Our 20-monthreport on those patrons indicate that 435 of them remain patrons in goodstanding.  Less than 10% never used their library cards again and about 5%accrued significant fines once again.

Kerry Fountain, Director Saranac Public Library :    We do fine forgiveness twice a year.  Thefirst is during Library week in April.  We forgive up to $20 per family infines- one card or many cards- we are small and it is fairly easy to keep trackof families.  Since we are part of a cooperative, we only can forgive our fines,nothing that has been interloaned.  A couple of years ago we had somepeople wanting to use this as a way to forgive damaged or lost books. That we will not accept- fines only.  We advertise it however patrons mustcome in or call us to have fines waived.  It really isn't abused- mostdon't realize and it is a very happy bonus when they come in and we tellthem that we can waive their late fees!
            The second one we do is duringNovember and December.  We do food for fines.  Patrons bring incanned, boxed or hygiene products and each product is worth $1 of fines. Again,this is fines only and for this patrons do need to come in.  If they bringin a big item- toilet paper, etc- staff is allowed to give $5-$10 for theitem.  All items stay in our community and are given to the local foodpantry.  We actually have a lot of patrons who bring in food but still paytheir fine.  They love having an easy drop off location for the foodpantry.  Other than the couple of people who wanted to use this too forwaiving material charges, we have never had anyone abuse this.

Mark Morton Director Leland Township Public Library: We did a fineforgiveness week in anticipation of eliminating fines altogether in an attemptto get some books back before doing away with the fines and while we did nottell anybody the fines were going away, we still did not get a single taker forthe forgiveness week. We did not clear any fines at that time since we knew wewould be doing it later.
            I realize doing away withfines is a bigger hit on the bottom line for some libraries more than othersbut our loss of revenue was far outweighed by the goodwill generated by havingno fines. The real problem has always been with a few people that areconstantly overdue and the fines never proved to be a deterrent for themanyway. The patrons that are a few days overdue by mistake are thrilled whenthey hear they didn’t owe anything. We also keep a donation jar on the circdesk and our donations have gone up because of it.

DevinErlandson (she/her) Assistant Director Allegan District Library :We started aFine Forgiveness Week in 2017, I've attached our PR copy if you're interested.We held it for one week (Mon-Sat) in October, and again this past October. Weencountered no major problems, mostly happy and surprised patrons. We forgave amaximum of $10 and only on materials that had been returned. If a patron hadunreturned materials fines, those were not eligible for forgiveness. We did notdo a blanket forgiveness, but each patron who came in, who was eligible, wasinformed up to $10 of their fines were being forgiven. We allowed people tocall in as well, though almost no one did this. Some people wanted to pay theirfines regardless, and we put that money in a donation box. I also turned offfines that week in our ILS.

            We actuallyended up going fine-free on print materials with the start of this year.

Audrey Glass DepartmentHeads' Assistant Fowlerville District Library:  At the Fowlerville District Library we do a fineforgiveness week once a year during National Library Week. We forgive finesonly on items that are returned during that week; so it excludes fines foritems returned in the past and fines for missing or damaged items.
            In general, despite putting it in our localpaper, social media, and website, most patrons do not seem to have caught onthat we do this each year; so we have not had any issues with people waitinglong periods of time to return items during this week. In the week or twoleading up to it, we tell people who have overdue items to bring them backduring that week so that they won't have to pay late fees on those items. It isa huge incentive for them to bring the items back and helps us get back itemsthat might never have been returned otherwise. It also helps lower-incomefamilies get back to using the library again.
            Patrons do not need to bepresent to have the fines removed. For anything returned in the drop box, wealso check the accounts and remove any fines for the items being returned. All-in-all,fine forgiveness week is well received by our community and appreciated by ourpatrons. I hope this helps! Have a great day!

 FOOD FOR FINE PROGRAMS

Don Priest Southgate Veterans Memorial Library: We held a Foodfor Fines program last year, in association with the Gleaners Food Bank. While that ran differently ($1 removed from fines for each item donated),there's one caution I think still applies.  Other, local libraries, partof our consortium, asked that we not forgive fines for their patrons, or onitems that did not belong to us.  If you're part of a shared system aswell, may want to ask and see what other libraries in the system think. Hope that helps, that your forgiveness week happens and goes well!

Patty Braden Director, RomulusPublic Library: We do Food for Fines for fine forgiveness twice a year in thespring and fall. It runs six weeks or so and supports our local food bank whichis good PR for the library and they greatly appreciate. We collect canned goodsand boxed food. We forgive $1 in fines for each item they bring in so it can'tbe done over the phone. Some people may hold off paying fines until theprogram, but we don't mind. In fact, we tell people they can wait and pay thefine with food. It's good for the library, the food bank, and the patrons. Atriple win!

            Another idea is to have kidsread in the library for fine forgiveness. Or forgive fines if they sign up forsummer reading. Google kids read for fine forgiveness for more ideas.

Cindi L. Place Adult Services Librarian BoyneDistrict Library: We do this every December inreturn for canned food and new toys for our Community Christmas baskets. Youcould do canned, non-perishable food for a local food pantry?

James B Lenze, DirectorGarden City Public Library :At Garden City, we have done “Food for Fines”. Patrons may bring in items of non-perishable, non-expired food for our localfood pantry, and we forgive up to $1 in overdue fines per item donated. We do not forgive lost or damage fees We have encountered no problems.The program lasts one month. It has not significantly reduced our finesrevenue, and it generates a small bit of good PR for us. We only clearfines if they come into the Library with a food donation.

  Myla-Jean Stuart, Director

Comstock Township Library
PO Box 25
6130 King Highway