[Michlib-l] American Library Association (ALA) Update - Steering Committee on Organizational Effectiveness (SCOE)

Jennifer L. Dean deanjl at udmercy.edu
Tue Jul 2 17:06:51 EDT 2019

Hello, all -

I'm writing to share an update on the American Library Association's (ALA) Steering Committee on Organizational Effectiveness, known as SCOE. For the past year, SCOE has been working with the following charge, given by the ALA Executive Board:

Carry out a comprehensive review and study of ALA’s governance, member participation and legal structures and systems, with the goal of proposing changes that will vitalize its success, strength and agility as a 21st century association.

SCOE recently released its preliminary recommendations and is seeking feedback from the library community. You may read the SCOE report, A Better ALA: A Modern Association for a Modern Profession<http://www.ala.org/aboutala/sites/ala.org.aboutala/files/content/governance/council/council_documents/2019_ac_docs/ALA%20CD%2045%20A%20Better%20ALA%20-%20SCOE%20Final%20-%202019.06.11%20-%20Council.pdf> online. The report includes information about SCOE, the preliminary recommendations, and a proposed timeline.

We have three ways to provide input and join in the discussion to shape the future of our organization:

  *
A Virtual Input Webinar with SCOE Chair Lessa Pelayo-Lozada and Jim Meffert is scheduled for Monday, July 8 - 1 pm Central, 2 pm Eastern. You may register to attend<https://ala-events.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_kV0Pnm8AQ4-t2HwXfmK3rQ> and give input online.
  *
Send an email to SCOE Chair, Lessa Pelayo-Lozada<mailto:lessalozada at gmail.com>, at lessalozada at gmail.com
  *
Follow the SCOE ALA Connect Group: Organizational Effectiveness (SCOE) Project: Discussion Forum<https://bit.ly/2ZGwxiC>

Thank you, all -
Jennifer

Michigan Library Association (MLA) Board of Directors and ALA Councilor

Jennifer L. Dean - PhD, MLIS
Dean of University Libraries and Instructional Technology
Distance Education Coordinator
University of Detroit Mercy Libraries / Instructional Design Studio
4001 West McNichols Rd
Detroit, MI 48221
313-993-1090
deanjl at udmercy.edu

[cid:5d65fde3-f816-4ff7-87ee-22fb04291697]