[Michlib-l] List postings

Christine Hage christine.hage at rhpl.org
Sat Jul 6 11:01:41 EDT 2019

I'm not sure of the numbers, but I assume there are over 1,000 people
subscribing to Mich-L.  If it takes a library staff member 30 seconds to
open read and process an email, libraries are spending real money for staff
to use and monitor the Mich-L list.  Generally, I think this is money well
spent.
This morning, on another listserv, I receive 11 messages about a library
system's automation problem. For libraries not on that shared system, each
of our employees got 11 spam messages.  We have 130 employees and all
though many of them (pages, custodial staff, office staff, etc.) do not
subscribe to that list, many of our librarians and managers do.  We paid
them a salary to delete those messages.

I've seen this on Mich-L as well.  Just before the 4th of July, there was a
flurry of postings that libraries were closing for the 4th.  This was a
waste of time.  I doubt there was a library open on the 4th of July and if
there was a library open I would have been interested in hearing who they
were. There occasionally is a flurry of announcements about story times or
other programs.  I'm really only interested in hearing about very unique
programs or programs that caused or are causing a stir (drag queen
storytimes).

I ask that people pause a moment before they share.  Is this information
the entire state needs to hear. When you extrapolate the costs across the
state, is this really a good use of libraries' scarce funding?

Christine Lind Hage
Director, Rochester Hills Public Library
500 Olde Towne Road
Rochester, MI 48307-2043
248/650-7122

The E's of Libraries®: Education, Employment, Entrepreneurship, Empowerment,
Engagement