[Michlib-l] Announcing the 2019-2020 Small and Rural Library Leadership Academy for Class I-III Library Leaders! {deadline 8/16}

Kristin Fontichiaro font at umich.edu
Wed Jul 10 12:23:23 EDT 2019

Howdy, Michiganders!

*ARE YOU READY TO TAKE YOUR LIBRARY TO THE NEXT LEVEL?*
The Library of Michigan and the University of Michigan School of
Information, with support from the Institute of Museum and Library
Services, is delighted to announce that applications are open for the
2019-2020 Small and Rural Library Leadership Academy.

*JOIN US! *If you’re a library leader in a Class I – III library in
Michigan who is eager to think big-picture about your library’s role in its
community, we invite you to join us. We’re looking for 25 library leaders
from Class I – III libraries who will gather at various locations around
the state to ponder the big questions of small and rural library impact.

*ACADEMY GOALS *We’ll work together on issues including identifying
community needs and partners, creating summer reading programs that have
more impact for less effort, strategic planning, effective practices with
social media, and more. In May 2020, you’ll share what you’ve learned in a
one-day conference your cohort will design and lead.

Thanks to funding from the Library of Michigan and the Institute of Museum
and Library Services, it is completely free to participate. Each
participant’s library will receive a $2500 stipend to be used to cover a
laptop, travel expenses, professional growth materials, and/or a substitute
to cover for you while you are away. Additionally, each library will
receive a $1000 project stipend to support a local library initiative.

We believe that public libraries can and do play significant roles in their
communities. A 2013 Pew research study
<https://www.pewinternet.org/2013/12/11/how-americans-value-public-libraries-in-their-communities-2/>
said,
“95% of Americans agree that the materials and resources available at
public libraries play an important role in giving everyone a chance to
succeed.” If you’re ready to stretch beyond serving your existing patrons
and, instead, think about how to serve the broader community, we hope
you’ll join us!

*LEARN MORE *You can learn more at https://
https://libacad.sites.uofmhosting.net/ or by attending one of our webinars
on Wed., July 17 at 11:30am Eastern, Tues., July 23, at 7:00pm Eastern, or
Mon., July 23, at 9:00am Eastern. Login details are available at
https://libacad.sites.uofmhosting.net/info-sessions/ .

Please contact me at libraryleadershipacademy at umich.edu with any questions.

--
Kristin Fontichiaro