[Michlib-l] Special Needs Programming

Jen Taggart taggartj at btpl.org
Wed Jul 10 14:22:50 EDT 2019

Hi Andrea,
About 3 years ago, we were observing and meeting many group home visitors in our Youth Services area, and caregivers were inquiring about attending some of our youth programs. We clearly saw a need to provide an ongoing program to engage these members of our community, so I worked with one of our adult librarians, Ed Niemchak, to develop an engaging, developmentally appropriate, and age respectful teen / adult sensory story time that is inclusive of all abilities. Here are a couple blog posts with more details:
https://adaptiveumbrella.blogspot.com/search/label/Adults%20with%20Developmental%20Disabilities
http://brycekozlablog.blogspot.com/2018/09/sensory-story-time-for-adults.html

We will also be discussing this topic at our next Special Needs Services Roundtable (SNSR) meeting at the Library of Michigan in Lansing on December 5. (I am working with the Superiorland Library Cooperative, using Zoom, for attendees to attend virtually if you cannot make the trek.)

Best,

Jen Taggart
Assistant Department Head, Youth Services
Bloomfield Township Public Library
1099 Lone Pine Road
Bloomfield Township, MI 48302
(248)642-5800<tel:(248)%20642-5800>