[Michlib-l] inquiry on bed bugs

Laura Hauch laura.hauch at buchananlibrary.com
Fri Jun 14 14:12:44 EDT 2019

Hello everyone,

Over the past few years, we've had a significant increase in patrons returning items with bed bugs, and were wondering how other libraries handle these situations.

Currently, we inspect items for bugs and signs of bugs at check in. Anything that has bugs is discarded, and anything that was either in the drop box with or in the household at the same time as affected items is treated in our ZappBug heat box. The patron's borrowing privileges are restricted until they provide proof of a clear inspection.

Has your library noticed an increase in pest issues? Do you check your items for bed bugs? Do you discard or treat items, and how do you treat them? How do you handle the patrons, and do you charge them for the items?

Thank you for any insight. I can compile and post responses if there is interest.

Laura Hauch
Circulation Manager
Buchanan District Library zv045
128 East Front Street