[Michlib-l] A Note from the Historical Society of Michigan

Historical Society of Michigan hsm at hsmichigan.org
Mon Mar 18 16:43:59 EDT 2019

Dear Friend of HSM,

Did you know that we run historical motor coach tours?

The Michiganders on the RoadT motor coach tour program was developed by HSM
to allow Michiganders to experience the culture and heritage of all 50
states with a group of like-minded history enthusiasts. Each tour is
handcrafted by me, HSM's Director for Education, and includes one-of-a-kind
itineraries featuring historical stops, museums, local attractions, nightly
dining experiences in local restaurants, and comfortable accommodations at
modern chain hotels.

One of our upcoming tours is a trip to Charleston from May 1 to 9 called
"Southern Hospitality Tour: Charleston & The Old South." Are you interested
in exploring one of America's oldest cities with me? Would you like to see
what all the fuss is about? Are you looking to experience local history
around the United States, where all the details are handled for you?

Join us as we travel to the culturally significant areas of the south and
explore Charleston, America's hospitality center. Charleston ranks among
America's premier tourist destinations, and for good reason: the beautiful
city is steeped in history. Come experience its cultural heritage on our
Southern Hospitality Tour. You'll also spend two days in North Carolina at
Biltmore Estate in Asheville and Old Salem Village in Winston-Salem.

This 9-day, 8-night tour from May 1 to 9 is a fantastic package deal with
all dinners, breakfasts, accommodations, entrance fees, and transportation
included for $1,995 per person.

Walk through our 9-days on the road with the itinerary attached to this
e-mail, or learn more
<http://hsmichigan.org/2019/03/04/michiganders-on-the-road/> on our website.

Where are we going? Take a peek at some of our tour stops along our 9-day
itinerary:

.         Biltmore Estate in Ashville - this Downtown Abbey on steroids was
built by George Vanderbilt in the late 1880s

.         Charles Towne Landing State Historic Site - the site of the
Carolina colony establishment in 1670

.         A horse-drawn carriage tour of Charleston's historic downtown
district

.         Charleston Historical Museum - America's oldest museum established
in 1773

.         A driving tour exploring Charleston's unique Gullah culture

.         "The Battery" - a stretch of the Charleston peninsula known for
its beautiful park and historic mansions

.         Fort Sumter - a pivotal player during the Civil War

.         The City Market - a historic four-block market dating back to the
1790s

.         A Barrier Islands Eco-Tour - a pontoon boat guided exploration of
Charleston's saltwater marshes and islands

.         Patriot's Point Naval & Maritime Museum - showcases the World War
II-era aircraft carrier USS Yorktown

.         And more!

Are you a foodie? While our Michiganders on the Road tours are mainly
focused on the day's historic itinerary, our tour guide makes sure to line
up well-known historic eats to satisfy everyone's appetite. Our trip to
Charleston features the following historic, renowned, and just plain good
restaurants:

.         Rickard Ridge BBQ - reportedly the best barbeque in Tennessee

.         Pack's Tavern - located in the historic 1907 Hayes and Hopson
building

.         Hyman's Seafood - originally a dry goods store established in 1890

.         Charleston Crab House - rated one of the city's best seafood
establishments

.         Ichiban Japanese Steakhouse - a tasty ethnic stop amidst our
dinner fare

.         Bricks & Barrels Restaurant - a historic building featuring tables
constructed from whiskey barrels

.         And more!

We hope you'll consider joining us this May. Our Michiganders on the Road
program is a great way to experience American history, meet new friends, and
engage with HSM. For more information, please call or e-mail me at (517)
324-1828 or myers at hsmichigan.org. We can't wait to have you join us!

Sincerely,

Robert Myers

Director of Education