[Michlib-l] ALA News for 3/19

Jennifer L. Dean deanjl at udmercy.edu
Wed Mar 20 20:31:59 EDT 2019

Hello, all -

Please see below for this week's ALA News. A couple of other notes...

1) ALA voting is open now! As others have noted, we have lots of great MI candidates to vote for. Thank you to Steve Bowers for compiling the attached list - resending so you have it here. Check your email for your ballot - you may receive a mailed ballot if ALA was not able to reach you by email. Polls close at 11:59 pm on Wed, 4/3.

2) The ALA Office for Library Advocacy (OLA) is urging all library advocates to contact their representatives to ask them to sign the LSTA and IAL letters. We are short of last year, and working to match last year's levels.

  *   Contact your Representative and ask them to sign the LSTA and IAL letters. The more calls from their home state and district, the more likely it is that a Member of Congress will sign the letters. You may participate by signing up for our engagement tool at https://cqrcengage.com/ala/?0

  *   The ALA OLA is especially working to reach newly elected Representatives who likely are not familiar with these programs nor have they seen these letters before. Review the list of names below. If a representative from your state is on this list, please contact their office today as the deadline is Monday. You may use the script provided here:

SCRIPT

  1.  There are two Dear Appropriator Letters circulating in support of library funding and we note that your boss has not signed these letters.

  1.  One supports Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) which returns federal funds to our state libraries every year and is led by Representatives Raul Grijalva (Pronounced Gree-halva) and Don Young.

  1.  The second supports the Innovative Approaches to Literacy (IAL) in the Department of Education and is led by Representatives Eddie Bernice Johnson, Don Young and Jim McGovern.

  1.  This may be the first time you are seeing these letters, but we are asking that your boss sign these letters and show support for the local public and school libraries in your district.

  1.  Please contact these offices today to add your name in support of library funding. We want to be able to tell the library community in your state that you support library funding!

     *   For LSTA: Marilyn Zepeda at Marilyn.Zepeda at mail.house.gov<mailto:Marilyn.Zepeda at mail.house.gov> with Rep. Raul Grijalva or Truman Reed at Truman.Reed at mail.house.gov<mailto:Truman.Reed at mail.house.gov> with Rep. Don Young
     *   For IAL: Nawaid Ladak at Nawaid.Ladak at mail.house.gov<mailto:Nawaid.Ladak at mail.house.gov> with Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson or Truman Reed atTruman.Reed at mail.house.gov<mailto:Truman.Reed at mail.house.gov> with Rep. Don Young

MI Reps include:

District 8 - Elissa Slotkin, 202-225-4872
District 9 - Andy Levin, 202-225-4961
District 11 - Haley Stevens, 202-225-8171
District 13 - Rashida Tlaib, 202-225-5126

Please read on for the news...

ALA launches executive director search with new search committee and Isaacson, Miller<http://bit.ly/2Y4Oir8>

<http://bit.ly/2Y4Oir8>The American Library Association (ALA) announced today it has opened its search for an executive director, in partnership with corporate executive search firm Isaacson, Miller, to succeed current ALA Executive Director Mary W. Ghikas. The search will be led by a new ALA Executive Director Search Committee comprising various member leaders and senior association staff. Read more<http://bit.ly/2Y4Oir8>

PLA opens Public Library Data Service survey for Fiscal 2018<http://bit.ly/2Y5izWJ>

<http://bit.ly/2Y5izWJ>All public libraries in the U.S. and Canada are invited to complete an important survey, which collects important information on public libraries' finances, resources, service usage and technology from Fiscal Year 2018. A summary of the survey data is published annually in PLA's Public Library Data Service (PLDS) Statistical Report. Read more<http://bit.ly/2Y5izWJ>

2019 ALA elections are open<http://bit.ly/2YaqmCz>

<http://bit.ly/2YaqmCz>Voting in the 2019 ALA elections is now open.  Between March 11 and March 13, the ALA sent e-mails to voters, providing them with their unique passcodes and information about how to vote online. The polls will close on Wednesday, April 3 at 11:59 p.m. Central time. Read more<http://bit.ly/2YaqmCz>

Nation’s libraries prepare for Money Smart Week®, March 30, April 6<http://bit.ly/2Y6U7Em>

<http://bit.ly/2Y6U7Em>Financial issues are a constant in our lives. They change as they reflect milestones in our lives. At every stage in life, we are faced with financial issues, whether it means spending our allowance wisely, obtaining loans for college, applying for a mortgage or saving for retirement.
>From March 30-April 6, 2019, more than 1,000 of our nation’s libraries will be participating in Money Smart Week®. Library events will focus on such diverse financial issues as first-time home buying, obtaining renovation loans, preparing a personal spending plan, the property tax appeal process, evaluating financial aid packages, choosing the proper Medicare plan and the basics of wills and trusts. Libraries are also offering programs that week on options for tax-free savings and charitable tax strategies.

Read more<http://bit.ly/2Y6U7Em>

Dav Pilkey shares 'Radical Ideas' in new AASL video<http://bit.ly/2Tdh2uh>

<http://bit.ly/2Tdh2uh>A new video featuring Dav Pilkey, the worldwide bestselling creator of Dog Man and Captain Underpants, is now available from the American Association of School Librarians (AASL) as part of the 2019 celebration of School Library Month. In the video, Pilkey speaks to how “reading without judgment” was a turning point in his life. School librarian professionals and advocates for school libraries are encouraged to download and share the video throughout their communities in celebration of School Library Month.

ALSC invites applications for 2020 Arbuthnot Lecture with Neil Gaiman<http://bit.ly/2YcfVhQ>

<http://bit.ly/2YcfVhQ>The Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC) and the 2020 May Hill Arbuthnot Lecture Committee are proud to announce the opening of the application to host the 2020 event featuring author, Neil Gaiman.

The Arbuthnot Lecture is an annual event, announced at the American Library Association’s Midwinter Meeting, in which an author, critic, librarian, historian or teacher of children’s literature presents a paper that makes a significant contribution to the field. A library school, department of education in a college or university or a children’s library system may be considered. The lecture is administered by ALSC. Read more<http://bit.ly/2YcfVhQ>

Wellness in the Library Workplace two-week course starts in April<http://bit.ly/2Y9qIJH>

<http://bit.ly/2Y9qIJH>You’re a library worker. You are already helping those in your community find health information. But what are you doing to manage your own well-being?  Are you a supervisor? How are you helping to ensure your staff stays healthy (physically, emotionally, etc.)?

Individual and community well-being are inherently connected. Thus, it is critical that workplaces provide an environment of wellness for their employees. As part of her presidential theme on Wellness, ALA-Allied Professional Association (ALA-APA) President Loida Garcia-Febo has partnered with the National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NNLM) to bring a complimentary two-week course to library workers worldwide. The course begins April 15, 2019. Read more<http://bit.ly/2Y9qIJH>

ALA 2019 ANNUAL CONFERENCE

LITA ALA Annual Precons: Active and Engaging<http://bit.ly/2TeqYUh>

AWARDS AND GRANTS

Public Library Association unveils 2019 award winners

<http://bit.ly/2Yanzts>Jim Duncan Receives Immroth Award<http://bit.ly/2Y9cFE8>

Susan Gauthier receives AASL Innovative Reading Grant<http://bit.ly/2Tgochm>

Oakleaf wins 2019 ACRL/IS Miriam Dudley Instruction Librarian Award<http://bit.ly/2Yazw1V>

Arizona, New Hampshire, and Tennessee libraries win 2019 ALSC Bookapalooza Program<http://bit.ly/2Th2k5p>

Holly Schwarzmann receives AASL Frances Henne Award<http://bit.ly/2Ths4yv>

Apply now for the 2019 Teens’ Top Ten Book Giveaway<http://bit.ly/2Y6EM6K>

Megan Donnelly named recipient of NMRT’s 2019 Olofson Award<http://bit.ly/2Y59CNn>

Shirley Simmons receives AASL Distinguished School Administrator Award<http://bit.ly/2YbzTtt>

ECOURSES, WEBINARS AND WORKSHOPS

LLAMA webinar helps you move forward in your career<http://bit.ly/2TiVZXd>

PLA announces webinar series on cultural intelligence in libraries

<http://bit.ly/2TjtOqS>A New Approach to Recruiting and Interviewing Library Staff<http://bit.ly/2TdhUPz>

Practical Classification and Subject Access Cataloging<http://bit.ly/2TfUsRK>

Library Programming for All Ages, Stages, and Sizes<http://bit.ly/2TfrC3H>