[Michlib-l] Non-resident Library Card Fee

Nancy Folaron nancy.folaron at sdl.lib.mi.us
Thu May 2 12:01:39 EDT 2019

Hi Miriam,

We charge an $82 annual non-resident fee, but our attorney advised us to
not base the fee on how much we collect in millage from our service area.
She said that would be taxation without representation.

Instead, we came up with a formula based on how much is costs to operate
the library in a year, and split that out by the average number of people
in a household.  I think we got that number from census info.

Hope this helps.

Nancy Folaron

On Thu, May 2, 2019 at 11:06 AM Andrus, Miriam via Michlib-l <
michlib-l at mcls.org> wrote:

> Hello Everyone-
>
>    Question about non-resident library cards.
>
> Does your library charge for a non-resident card based upon the average
> annual amount a household within your legal service area pays to support
> your library?
>

> If so, how often do you reevaluate your fee?
>

> If not, how did your library decide how much to charge for non-resident
> cards?
>

> Any input would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
>

> *Miriam Andrus*
>
> *Library Director*
>
> Grace A. Dow Memorial Library
>
> 1710 W. St. Andrews Rd.
>
> Midland, MI 48640
>
> Phone 989.837.3431
>
> Fax 989.837.3468
>

>   *Our Mission: To inspire lifelong learning by connecting people and
> resources. *

Nancy Folaron, Assistant Director
Shiawassee District Library/Durand Memorial Branch
700 N. Saginaw St.
Durand, MI  48429