[Michlib-l] Yoga in the Library

Reed, Nyama N.Reed at wfblibrary.org
Mon Nov 25 12:59:00 EST 2019

Hello Theresa,

We offered yoga, initially 1x/mo then 2x/mo as demand grew. The instructor was taking classes to become a certified yoga instructor. She gave us a great price of only $25/session. Even at that a full year was $600. Once she graduated and moved on we were not able to find a new instructor at a price we could afford so we no longer offer it.

I would be concerned about offering yoga with only a dvd or staff-led due to possible injuries or concerns about lining stances up properly for joints. At least a student working towards certification has the knowledge to help with all of that.

We did not have any liability waivers. I figure patrons can get hurt at any moment in the library and would be covered by our typical liability insurance. It may be advisable to ask your insurance carrier or municipality/board (whomever pays for the insurance) if they want a waiver, especially if you don't use a trained instructor. Then have the lawyer check it out before using it.

In 2017, we had 182 people over 14 classes in 7 months. Then the instructor graduated and left.

Sincerely,
Nyama

Nyama Y. Reed
Library Director
N.Reed at WFBLibrary.org
414-755-6551 (direct line)

Whitefish Bay Public Library
5420 North Marlborough Drive
Whitefish Bay, WI 53217
414-964-4380 (main line)

Our Mission
The Whitefish Bay Public Library, as a cornerstone of the community, is dedicated to connecting people of all ages, inspiring a love of learning and providing easy access to ideas, information and resources.

*Please be advised electronic mail becomes a "public record" as allowed under public record laws when sent or received as part of normal business processes.