[Michlib-l] NEWS RELEASE: Historical Society of Michigan Announces Naming of New Headquarters: Meijer Center for Michigan History

Larry J. Wagenaar wagenaar at hsmichigan.org
Wed Oct 2 15:53:29 EDT 2019

My apologies for any duplicates. I am sending this to some of my personal
contacts.

Historical Society of Michigan

7435 Westshire Drive

Lansing, MI 48917

Contact: Nancy Feldbush
(517) 324-1828
 <mailto:hsm at hsmichigan.org> hsm at hsmichigan.org

For Immediate Release

Historical Society of Michigan Announces Naming of New Headquarters:
Meijer Center for Michigan History

LANSING, Mich.- The Historical Society of Michigan (HSM) is proud to
announce that its new headquarters building, located at 7435 Westshire Drive
near the intersection of I-96 and M-43, will now be called the Meijer Center
for Michigan History in recognition of a gift from The Meijer Foundation,
which allowed HSM to acquire the building. A longtime supporter of HSM, The
Meijer Foundation has been a committed ally in the Society's educational
efforts to share the history and heritage of all Michigan's peoples.

"Here at HSM, we are always looking for the next opportunity to make an
impact and to share and promote the story of Michigan," said Executive
Director and CEO Larry J. Wagenaar, who leads the 191-year-old nonprofit and
nongovernmental organization. "We are very excited that our next game
changer is happening right now thanks to the generosity of The Meijer
Foundation."

 "The Meijer Foundation is honored to be a part of obtaining a new home for
the Historical Society of Michigan and its programs," said Hank Meijer, one
of The Meijer Foundation's trustees. "The preservation of our state's
history has always been very important to our foundation, and we are proud
to partner with HSM in this endeavor."

Along with offices for HSM staff, meeting and storage spaces, and an
expanded area for HSM's library of Michigan history books, the Meijer Center
for Michigan History offers four education spaces-all with remote learning
capabilities-that will allow HSM to enhance and expand its programming,
which includes three annual history conferences, the yearlong Michigan
History DayR program for students, History Skills WorkshopsT, History
HoundsT Lecture Series, Michiganders on the RoadT motor coach history tours,
the Michigan History MomentT radio program and the Michigan History
AllianceT networking program.

A formal dedication of the Meijer Center for Michigan History will take
place on Wednesday, Nov. 13, 2019, starting at 4:30 p.m. Hank Meijer, along
with other dignitaries, will offer a few remarks before the ribbon-cutting
ceremony. Tours of the building and hors d'oeuvres follow the dedication,
which is by invitation. The evening's capstone is a presentation by Hank
Meijer on Senator Arthur Vandenberg, the subject of Meijer's most recent
book. The presentation is part of HSM's History Hounds Lecture Series, which
explores some of Michigan's most fascinating historical facets.

The Historical Society of Michigan, publisher of Michigan History and
Chronicle magazines, is the state's oldest cultural organization, founded in
1828 by territorial governor Lewis Cass and explorer Henry Schoolcraft. A
nongovernmental nonprofit, the Society focuses on publications, conferences,
education, awards and recognition programming, and support for local history
organizations to preserve and promote Michigan's rich history.

#  #  #