[Michlib-l] Self-Published Books Report: 2013-2018

Jim Flury jflury at tln.lib.mi.us
Tue Oct 15 10:39:39 EDT 2019

Good Morning,

Attached is a report from R.R. Bowker outlining the growth (print books) and not (eBooks) in the self-published book genre in the United States during the period 2013-2018.

The numbers, as well as the percentage of growth, in the self-published, print book category are both simply astonishing. This isn't to say that all (or even very many) of these titles are good, or worthy of acquisition by a library. And reviews can sometimes be difficult to find for self-published titles. But an overall growth rate of 263% (407% if you include only print books) from 2013-2018 makes self-published titles a category not simply to be ignored.

I have probably said this before, so apologies in advance, but when I started in our business one of the most common questions I used to get was "How many books are published in the United States each year?" The answer was an easy one to remember: 50,000.

That seems like a long time ago now :)

Jim

Jim Flury
Technical Services Manager