[Michlib-l] Dungeons and Dragons and Libraries

Patrick Cook patrick.cook at monroe.lib.mi.us
Tue Sep 24 20:49:54 EDT 2019

Hello there!

I'm attempting to build a program for my library so that we have a consistent game of Dungeons and Dragons (5E, for those who care). I'm looking for anyone with information or experience in running library programs which play Dungeons and Dragons. I have a lot of questions about the logistics of playing and running a game, as well as unexpected pitfalls or experiences which may be helpful to know in advance. Some of my concerns and thoughts include:

  1.  What do you do when the volume of players becomes too high? As of right now, I'm the only librarian on staff who is working on the program, and I'm assuming I would play the role of Dungeon Master for the program. For those familiar, it's difficult to manage more than 5-6 players, so what do I do if the program is successful enough to gain more players?
  2.  What is your experience with running or attempting to run such programs? Should their be age brackets for potential players? What methods have you used to limit or mitigate the damage from more toxic players? What are the demographics of your groups?
  3.  Any ideas for integrating library resources to keep patrons coming around? Our branch has a 3d printer, for example, which could be used by patrons interested in making a model of their character.
  4.  How was your program received by the community? Did parents complain? Did it get new players?
  5.  On a less important note, how do you manage when players come/go unexpectedly? I can foresee a group being pretty fluid as people come and try the game for the first time and then decide they don't want to continue, or simply can't make it frequently.

Any insights you could offer me would be really helpful. I'd also love to hear about ways of creative materials use, means of holding attention for various age brackets, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Patrick Cook
Clerk; Bedford Branch of the Monroe County Library System

"Fantasy is hardly an escape from reality. It's a way of understanding it." -Lloyd Alexander