[Michlib-l] Paying Staff During Mandatory Closure.

Stephanie knownformylaugh at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 16:05:03 EDT 2020

Hi Eric --

We, too, are paying all library staff (with the exception of our pages)
their normally scheduled hours for the duration of the closure... which for
us has currently been adjusted to a potential May 4th opening.  I haven't
had any Board members (thankfully) who have indicated they want to consider
layoffs.    If we did decide to do that, we have a Union, so we would
follow lay-off procedures as outlined there.    The case I made to my Board
president, when we briefly spoke about this issue, was that a) these are
trained staff... we will need them in full force when we do get to reopen ,
b) our staff (who have the tech capability) have voluntarily staffed
virtual reference shifts via a Google number we linked to a library gmail
account, are attending online trainings and webinars that pertain to their
jobs, and some even have repair items and supplies that they took home to
work on, c) we don't need to add to the already waaaaaaay overwhelmed
unemployment situation, d) our budgets are fairly static.... so continuing
to pay them through this shouldn't be a hardship, and last but far from
least e) our staff didn't need to be worrying about continuing to get paid
on top of being already stressed out about everything else.

Anyway, those are our justifications.... for now at least.

Stephanie Masin
Director
Maud Preston Palenske Memorial Library