[Michlib-l] ALA News: ALA praises IMLS for rapid release of COVID-19 relief

Jennifer L. Dean deanjl at udmercy.edu
Tue Apr 14 20:40:00 EDT 2020

Congratulations to our MI libraries who were awarded first round Census Equity Fund grants:

Dearborn Public Library
Saginaw Chippewa Tribal Library

Hope this edition of the news finds you & yours safe & well.

ALA praises IMLS for rapid release of COVID-19 relief<https://bit.ly/2XAVXQg>
The Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) has announced measures to award the first $30 million of $50 million appropriated to the agency in the CARES Act. The American Library Association (ALA) issued the following statement by ALA President Wanda Brown. Read more
<https://bit.ly/2XAVXQg><https://bit.ly/2XAVXQg>
ALA awards additional 13 Library Census Equity Fund grantees<https://bit.ly/3elNV3r>
The American Library Association (ALA) and Capital One announced the names of 13 additional libraries receiving Library Census Equity Fund mini-grants<http://www.ala.org/advocacy/govinfo/census/grants> of $2,000 to bolster their service to hard-to-count communities and help achieve a complete count in the 2020 Census. Read more<https://bit.ly/3elNV3r>

ALA Nominating Committee seeks candidates for 2021 election<https://bit.ly/2Vpsm9E>
The Nominating Committee for the 2021 ALA election is soliciting nominees to run on the 2021 spring ballot for the offices of ALA president-elect and councilor-at-large.
The Nominating Committee will select two candidates to run for president-elect and no fewer than 51 candidates for the 33 at-large council seats to be filled in the 2021 spring election. Read more<https://bit.ly/2Vpsm9E>

Public Library Association seeks volunteers for committees, task forces, and advisory groups<https://bit.ly/3a8Ovyp>
Attention: Public Library Association (PLA) members. Are you looking for ways to expand your professional network and become more active in PLA? Please consider applying to serve as a volunteer on one of our committees, task forces, or advisory groups. Our volunteers help shape the Association by advancing its strategic plan and influencing the direction of public librarianship. Read more<https://bit.ly/3a8Ovyp>

ALA 2020 ELECTION RESULTS
Lucia Gonzalez elected ALSC vice-president/president-elect<https://bit.ly/2K5X7Lv>

Janice Young announced as the 2020-2021 president-elect of ASGCLA<https://bit.ly/2XIdJkm>

2020 Public Library Association election results
<https://bit.ly/2xudizC>

AWARDS AND GRANTS
Donna Morris receives AASL Intellectual Freedom Award<https://bit.ly/3caZCs2>

Jillian Ehlers receives AASL Collaborative School Library Award<https://bit.ly/2K5XhCB>

Dr. Kevin Smith receives AASL Distinguished School Administrator Award<https://bit.ly/2V942dd>

Connecticut Library Association Intellectual Freedom Committee receives the 2020 Gerald Hodges Intellectual Freedom Chapter Relations Award<https://bit.ly/2XAx3QF>

Jennifer L. Dean - PhD, MLIS - she, her, hers
MLA Board of Directors & ALA Councilor

Dean of Libraries and Instructional Technology
University of Detroit Mercy
deanjl at udmercy.edu

Sent using Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>