[Michlib-l] ALA News: National Library Workers Day, ALA Virtual - Community Through Connection, June 24-26, 2020

Jennifer L. Dean deanjl at udmercy.edu
Tue Apr 21 19:45:01 EDT 2020

​The following message is sent on behalf of American Library Association President Wanda Brown.

CHICAGO – Today, in honor of National Library Workers Day, a celebration during National Library Week, the American Library Association (ALA) Executive Board issued the following statement:

"The American Library Association stands in solidarity and support of library workers. As we said last month when we recommended and urged<http://www.ala.org/news/press-releases/2020/03/ala-executive-board-recommends-closing-libraries-public> all libraries to close to the public, ‘The health of our library workers and the communities we serve is of utmost and equal importance.’

“Since that time, we have been buoyed by the resilience and innovation our profession has demonstrated in unprecedented circumstances. We know that while library buildings may be physically closed, librarians and library workers are busier than ever continuing to safely deliver vital services to their communities, such as digital access, resource guides, research inquiry responses, online instruction to learners, teacher and faculty support, virtual storytimes and other content, including ebooks, movies, music, video games, and virtual programs and events.

“Each of these takes effort, care, and thought to be uniquely attuned to the needs of each local community, and we applaud the library workers who have stepped up to address needs. We celebrate those who have turned on their Wi-Fi signals to supply internet access at a safe physical distance in library parking lots, partnered with local health organizations to print 3D face shields, supported teachers transitioning to distance learning, transformed bookmobiles into emergency food banks, and safely delivered so many other instances of outstanding public service.

“National Library Workers Day<https://ala-apa.org/nlwd/> is an occasion to both praise their work and advocate for their continued safety. Library staff should not be asked to do nonessential work in closed library buildings and should be permitted to work remotely where feasible. In alignment with our companion organization, the ALA Allied Professional Association (APA), we advocate that library workers are paid fully during this time and continue to receive benefits such as health insurance. In municipalities where budgets are being slashed and library workers are being furloughed or laid off, ALA strongly urges<http://www.ala.org/advocacy/contact-congress> the federal government to step in and provide relief for the second responders who are getting communities through this crisis and will enable our nation’s workforce to get back on its feet during the recovery.

”Libraries and library workers have vital roles to play during and after the pandemic. We remain committed to supporting them during this challenging time.”

http://www.ala.org/news/press-releases/2020/04/national-library-workers-day-ala-executive-board-reaffirms-need-protect

https://americanlibrariesmagazine.org/blogs/the-scoop/ala-national-library-workers-day-statement/

ALA News...

Mark your calendar, ALA Virtual - Community Through Connection, June 24-26, 2020<https://bit.ly/2yu1o9c>

American Library Association (ALA) will host ALA Virtual - Community Through Connection, an online event that will offer educational programming, special author events, and social networking on June 24-26, 2020. ALA looks forward to this unique opportunity for members and library supporters to stay connected as we move forward to empower our profession and support our communities. Read more<https://bit.ly/2yu1o9c>

National Library Week, April 19-25, 2020, celebrates libraries’ resilience during the COVID-19 pandemic<https://bit.ly/3cxwjzS>

The novel Coronavirus crisis has dramatically and quickly changed American life.   Most libraries have closed their physical buildings on the recommendation of public health officials and the American Library Association (ALA), but remain open for business online and continue to support their communities with resources, services and programs.

As the impact of the current public health crisis continues to evolve and change the work of libraries and library workers, libraries are proving resourceful and resilient, serving as a rich pipeline for content, delivering access to ebooks, movies, music, video games, virtual storytimes and activities, and so much more.

Just as libraries are pivoting in response to the current situation, the ALA is changing the focus of its annual National Library Week celebration, April 19-25, 2020.

The theme for National Library Week (NLW) 2020, “Find your place at the library,” was chosen before the emergence of the global pandemic. To acknowledge our altered landscape, ALA flipped the script a bit on the theme. “Find the library at your place” highlights how libraries are offering virtual services and digital content their communities need now more than ever. Read more<https://bit.ly/3cxwjzS>

ALA releases 2020 State of America’s Libraries report<https://bit.ly/34T8EHL>

The American Library Association (ALA) has released its 2020 State of America’s Libraries report, an annual summary of library trends released during National Library Week, April 19 – 25, that outlines statistics and issues affecting all types of libraries during the previous calendar year. Read more<https://bit.ly/34T8EHL>

AWARDS AND GRANTS

Martha Hickson receives AASL Intellectual Freedom Award<https://bit.ly/34Uyfjr>

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign announced as 2020 Student Chapter of the Year Award Winner<https://bit.ly/350CoT1>

Stefanie Throndson receives AASL Innovative Reading Grant<https://bit.ly/3ePLdUm>

'The Power Project' receives AASL Roald Dahl's Miss Honey Social Justice Award<https://bit.ly/2xEf7dx>

Samantha Grabus wins 2020 LITA/Ex Libris Student Writing Award<http://www.ala.org/news/member-news/2020/04/samantha-grabus-wins-2020-litaex-libris-student-writing-award>

WEBINARS

Unlocking the Library of Congress<https://bit.ly/2xNlKKr>

LLAMA webinars while you work from home<https://bit.ly/34WeUOX>

Jennifer L. Dean - PhD, MLIS - she, her, hers
MLA Board of Directors & ALA Councilor

Dean of Libraries and Instructional Technology
University of Detroit Mercy
deanjl at udmercy.edu

Sent using Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>