[Michlib-l] covid unattended children policies

Allison Boyer aboyer at loutitlibrary.org
Thu Aug 13 10:58:54 EDT 2020

Hi all
I had many requests when I asked about unattended child policies in
regard to covid-19

I had one response from Michlib, that I have attached.
But I did also gather some from some Facebook groups.

Here are some of the highlights I gathered from FB: (so from far and wide,
not just MI libraries)
-No unattended children 12 yrs or younger meaning there must be an ADULT,
not an older sibling. We're seeing families with kids coming in for
materials and to sign up for our SRP (all online this year), but we haven't
seen our teens much.
-No one under 18 without and adult. 1 hour time limit for all patrons.
-Our new COVID child policy says no one under 16 is permitted in the
building without an adult.
-Ages 13 and under must be accompanied by an adult (not an older sibling)
at all times while in the building. This means that a 12-year-old can't be
browsing in YA while a parent looks at the DVDs; they need to stay together
-No one under the age of 14 without an adult. 30 min time limit for all
-Same as it's always been. Must be 9+ to be in there w/o an adult. We only
have very limited services and everything "fun" is put away so the 15
minute limit we're strongly encouraging is pretty easy to enforce.
 -We require minors under age 16 to be accompanied by an adult when coming
into the library. All patrons are limited to 1 hour visit per day.
-No under 12s at all - 30 minute single appointment for browsing or
curbside pickup. We are small, so we can only let 1 at a time in right now
-Our children's department is on a different floor. We have adjusted our
policy so that no one can be in the library longer than 30 minutes.
Students 13 and under must be here attended by a guardian 18+.

What we decided was to amend our covid policy to include a statement that
children under 14 must be accompanied by an adult caregiver 18+
After 1.5 weeks open we have only had 2 friends come in wanting to play
computer games.  They seemed to understand once I explained it to them.

<http://loutitlibrary.org/>

Allison Boyer

Head of Youth Services

she/her/hers

616.850.6916 Youth Desk | 616.850.6919 Office

loutitlibrary.org

407 Columbus Ave. Grand Haven, MI 49417

Expanding Horizons, Enriching Minds

<https://www.facebook.com/LoutitDistrictLibrary/>