[Michlib-l] Sad News: Reginald (Reggie) Williams

Lois VanStipdonk lvanstipdonk at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 16:01:28 EDT 2020

Thank you for such a nice tribute to Reg; I worked with him at different
times in my career and served with him on the TLN Board.  He was a great
librarian and an even better gentleman.  Not to mention his stylish
appearance!  He will be truly missed

Lois

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 12:39 PM Jim Flury via Michlib-l <michlib-l at mcls.org>
wrote:

> All,
>
> I need to share some sad news. Our longtime colleague, Director of Ecorse
> Public Library and member of The Library Network Board of Trustees Reginald
> (Reggie) Williams passed away August 14, 2020.
>
> Reggie received a B.S. in Early Childhood Development and an M.S.L.S.
> degree, both from Wayne State University. He was a long-time employee of
> Wayne County, eventually culminating with his appointment as Wayne County
> Librarian, the position from which he retired in 2001.
>
> Reggie undertook a number of significant, successful initiatives
> throughout his career, including the re-opening of the closed Ecorse Public
> Library in 1991, the "Wayne Babies...Live, Learn and Play" project in 2008,
> the School Youth Initiative Project, Presidency of the Ecorse Rotary Club
> and also a former member of the Board of Directors of the Downriver Council
> for the Arts. Throughout his career Reggie also served as a mentor to many
> young librarians, helping them to become established in the profession.
>
> A number of us who worked in a building in Wayne a decade or four ago that
> was then named the "WOLF Service Center", were fortunate to have been able
> to work alongside Reggie, to see his hard work and dedication and perhaps
> most importantly, to appreciate his sense of humor. My favorite memory of
> Reggie, who was always, always the consummate professional and the very
> epitome of customer service, was of him working in what was called the
> Reference/Interloan Department, one phone in each ear, working on
> interlibrary loan requests for/with two libraries simultaneously. Double
> the customer service! That was Reg.
>
> Reggie was a great librarian, and an even better person. He will be missed.
>
> Jim Flury
>
> Jim Flury
> Technical Services Manager
> The Library Network