[Michlib-l] Sad News: Reginald (Reggie) Williams

Susan Wizinsky swizinsky at rc.edu
Tue Aug 25 16:42:34 EDT 2020

All,

Jim, thank you for expressing the sad news and your beautiful tribute. I'm
not sure if I ever personally met Reggie, but I certainly knew who he was
and our paths crossed a few times early in my career. When I was the
"Children's Assistant at River Rouge Public Library (1988-1989), Reggie
would always call asking for our interloan requests. I still share stories
about how interloan worked back then and Reggie's regular calls.

Regards,
Susan

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 12:37 PM Jim Flury via Michlib-l <michlib-l at mcls.org>
wrote:

> All,
>
> I need to share some sad news. Our longtime colleague, Director of Ecorse
> Public Library and member of The Library Network Board of Trustees Reginald
> (Reggie) Williams passed away August 14, 2020.
>
> Reggie received a B.S. in Early Childhood Development and an M.S.L.S.
> degree, both from Wayne State University. He was a long-time employee of
> Wayne County, eventually culminating with his appointment as Wayne County
> Librarian, the position from which he retired in 2001.
>
> Reggie undertook a number of significant, successful initiatives
> throughout his career, including the re-opening of the closed Ecorse Public
> Library in 1991, the "Wayne Babies...Live, Learn and Play" project in 2008,
> the School Youth Initiative Project, Presidency of the Ecorse Rotary Club
> and also a former member of the Board of Directors of the Downriver Council
> for the Arts. Throughout his career Reggie also served as a mentor to many
> young librarians, helping them to become established in the profession.
>
> A number of us who worked in a building in Wayne a decade or four ago that
> was then named the "WOLF Service Center", were fortunate to have been able
> to work alongside Reggie, to see his hard work and dedication and perhaps
> most importantly, to appreciate his sense of humor. My favorite memory of
> Reggie, who was always, always the consummate professional and the very
> epitome of customer service, was of him working in what was called the
> Reference/Interloan Department, one phone in each ear, working on
> interlibrary loan requests for/with two libraries simultaneously. Double
> the customer service! That was Reg.
>
> Reggie was a great librarian, and an even better person. He will be missed.
>
> Jim Flury
>
> Jim Flury
> Technical Services Manager
> The Library Network
> 41365 Vincenti Court
> Novi, MI 48375
> 248-536-3100, ext 133
> Fax 248-536-3098
> jflury at tln.lib.mi.us

*Susan Wizinsky, MSLS*
Instructional Design Librarian
Ennis & Nancy Ham Library
RU Online [image: Logo] <http://rc.edu/>

Rochester University
800 West Avon Road
Rochester Hills, MI 48307
t: 248.218.2267
e: swizinsky at rc.edu <ejones at rc.edu>

Rochester University <https://rochesteru.edu/> [image: Facebook icon]
<https://www.facebook.com/RochesterU/>   [image: LinkedIn icon]
<https://www.linkedin.com/school/rochester-university/>   [image: Twitter
icon] <https://twitter.com/rochester_u>   [image: Youtbue icon]
<https://www.youtube.com/c/rochesteru>   [image: Instagram icon]
<https://www.instagram.com/rochesteru/>

[image: Banner]
<https://rc2ru.com/?utm_source=signature&utm_medium=rcemail&utm_campaign=ru>

Rochester University prepares students for professional and personal
success as they serve in God's world.

Rochester University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission, 230
South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500, Chicago, Illinois, 60604. Phone
(800)621-7440