[Michlib-l] Housing Values and proximity to Public Library

Steven Kish skish at ltu.edu
Tue Feb 11 16:27:32 EST 2020

Hello Jaema,

Did you look at the actual study? I was interested enough by your question
to take a look myself:
https://libwww.freelibrary.org/assets/pdf/about/fels-report.pdf

Apparently they collected home values from the Philadelphia Department of
Records and Board of Revision of Taxes. Since you are in Oakland County,
you could aggregate this information from the Register of Deeds office
yourself. (They charge you for documents, and all that is recorded is the
mortgage amount, which may be less than the homes' values.) An easier and
more cost effective option would be to look at  Trulia.com and Zillow.com
to see estimated values of homes on a map. If your library is friendly with
anybody that is a realtor, they could pull real estate comps from the
surrounding homes to give you more precise data.

Best of luck,
Steven

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 11:32 AM Jaema Berman via Michlib-l <
michlib-l at mcls.org> wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
> As part of promoting the idea of a new location for our library in Addison
> Twp., I am researching the relationship of housing values as they relate to
> proximity to a public library. Would anyone know a source for this data. I
> have found an article on the ALA website as regards to Philadelphia, but
> alas, that seems like a bit of a stretch.
>
> Best always,
> Jaema
>
> Jaema Berman
> Library Director
> Addison Twp. Public Library
> 1400 Rochester Rd.
> Leonard, MI 48367
> (248) 628-7180
> www.addisontwp.michlibrary.org
> “A library outranks any other one thing a community can do to benefit its
> people. It is a never failing spring in the desert.”
> ― Andrew Carnegie

*Steven Kish*

*Reference LibrarianLawrence Technological University Library21000 West Ten
Mile RoadSouthfield, MI, 48075-1058(248) 204-3000*
*skish at ltu.edu <skish at ltu.edu>*