[Michlib-l] Filtering Responses

Sharon Crotser-Toy scrotsertoy at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 11:36:37 EST 2020

Happy Monday, everyone!

The compiled responses to my "what filtering do you use" question are
included below. Many thanks for your help and your time!

We currently use a hardware firewall for all filtering. It's a Checkpoint
firewall. We've had our issues with it for public browsing (no solution is
perfect).

However, we will soon be switching to OpenDNS, which is software based, and
the subscription fee is fairly modest for libraries (less than $10 per PC
per year). It's pretty easy to set up, and is software based.
_____________________

We do not filter, but one of the quickest paths to filtering without a high
technology load for deployment is to consider OpenDNS.

With OpenDNS, your DNS is the filter. You just set up an account, and
change the DNS on devices in need of filtering (or do this at a
router/firewall level) and you have filtering that meets CiPA requirements
in most cases.

It's a yearly or monthly payment service. We use OpenDNS not for filtering,
but to protect against illegal downloads, malware and other bad actors on
the internet.
for all computers in the building.

TLN staff would setup the software remotely. We only require a firewall IP
address to set it up.   We would check you a checklist of categories that
you would like to block content for.
______________

We are using Untangle, which has the advantage of also keeping track of
wifi usage.  I am not sure how well it works as a filter, but it satisfies
the Federal gov't requirement for e-rate.

Our watchguard firewall does the filtering.

-Sharon
--
Sharon Crotser-Toy
Director

Connects People, Inspires Ideas, Transforms Lives