[Michlib-l] FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: KPL ANNOUNCES 2020 READING TOGETHER EVENTS

Farrell Howe FarrellH at kpl.gov
Wed Feb 12 16:19:00 EST 2020

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 12, 2020

CONTACT
Karen Trout
269-553-7895
karent at kpl.gov<mailto:karent at kpl.gov>

Kalamazoo Public Library Announces 2020 Reading Together Events

Kalamazoo, MI, Wednesday, February 12, 2020. Kalamazoo Public Library is honored to welcome Jonathan Safran Foer, author of the 2020 Reading Together<file:///C:/Users/karent/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INetCache/Content.Outlook/WBSQK7EM/readingtogether.us> book We are the Weather: Saving the Planet Begins at Breakfast to Kalamazoo.

Join us at Chenery Auditorium<https://www.cheneryaud.com/> on Tuesday, March 10 at 7 pm to hear Foer discuss the global crisis of climate change, the impact of factory farming, and how the task of saving the planet will require overcoming our human reluctance to sacrifice immediate comfort for the sake of the future. Book sales will be provided at the event by Michigan News Agency<http://www.michigannews.biz/>.

To register for this event and for details on all of this year’s Reading Together events for teens and adults, please visit readingtogether.us<file:///C:/Users/karent/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INetCache/Content.Outlook/WBSQK7EM/readingtogether.us>.

About the Book
The scientific evidence to support that our planet is warming because of human activity is overwhelming. While most people accept this reality, there is a significant difference between accepting the science, and doing something about it. If we truly believe global warming is a threat to the future of life on this planet, then we must take action-----and it all starts with what we eat—and don’t eat—for breakfast.

“Deeply contemplative and artfully creative…” –Booklist

“Foer’s message is both moving and painful, depressing and optimistic, and it will force readers to rethink their commitment to combating “the greatest crisis humankind has ever faced.” –Publishers Weekly (starred review)

About the Author
Jonathan Safran Foer is the author of novels Everything is Illuminated, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, and Here I Am, and of the nonfiction book Eating Animals. His work has received numerous awards and has been translated into thirty-six languages. He lives in Brooklyn, New York.

2020 Reading Together Events
The following events are free and open to the public. A library card is not required to attend. Events where space is limited may require prior registration which will be indicated in the event description. Patrons who require special accommodations can submit their request to the event coordinator by calling 269-553-7895 or emailing karent at kpl.gov<mailto:karent at kpl.gov>.

Vegetarian Pizza & Pages<https://www.kpl.gov/event/vegetarian-pizza-pages/> (for Teens)
Thursday, February 27 | 5:30 pm | KPL Central, 315 South Rose St., Kalamazoo
Youth-led discussion of We Are the Weather by Jonathan Safran Foer, with pizza!

Finding Alternatives for our Sustenance<https://www.kpl.gov/event/finding-alternatives-for-our-sustenance/>
Saturday, February 29 | 1 pm | Portage District Library, 300 Library Lane, Portage
We will watch Eating Animals, a documentary based on Jonathan Safran Foer’s book of the same title, about our dietary choices and the food we put in our bodies. Afterwards, we will discuss the shared ideas from the film and the book We Are the Weather. In attendance will be Simone Friedman with EJF Philanthropies<https://www.ejfphilanthropies.org/>, the impact producer of Eating Animals, and impact manager of We Are the Weather. Snacks provided.

Vegan 101: Ten Easy Ways to Add More Plants to Your Diet<https://www.kpl.gov/event/vegan-101-ten-easy-ways-to-add-more-plants-to-your-diet/>
Thursday, March 5 | 7 pm | Parchment Community Library, 401 S. Riverview Dr., Parchment
& Tuesday, March 17 | 6 pm | KPL Alma Powell Branch, 1000 W. Paterson, Kalamazoo
(Identical programs)
Want to eat lighter, kinder, healthier, and more sustainably, but don’t know where to start? This workshop is for you! Vegan Kalamazoo<http://www.vegankalamazoo.com/> organizer Hillary Rettig will discuss what veganism is and how it can help save the planet. Then she’ll share ten simple, easy, and delicious tips for adding more fruits, vegetables, beans, and other nutritional powerhouses to your diet.

Hillary Rettig is cofounder and organizer of Vegan Kalamazoo (vegankalamazoo.com<http://www.vegankalamazoo.com/>), which promotes veganism, plant-based eating, and compassionate living throughout Southwest Michigan. When she’s not organizing vegan potlucks, movies, workshops, and other fun events, she’s writing books on productivity, time management, and social justice. A native New Yorker, she has also lived in Boston, but for the past (almost) decade has LOVED living in Kalamazoo with her partner, Kalamazoo College physics professor Jan Tobochnik. She welcomes your emails at vegankalamazoo at gmail.com<mailto:vegankalamazoo at gmail.com> .

Teen Meet-Up and Clean-Up<https://www.kpl.gov/event/meet-up-clean-up-bronson-park/>
Saturday, March 7 | 12 pm | Bronson Park, 200 W. South St., Kalamazoo
Your community is just like your room: you gotta keep it clean! Join KPL and Students for a Sustainable Earth of WMU in picking up litter at Bronson Park. Please dress warmly for weather. Snacks provided. For ages 11-18, but parents and older siblings are welcome too!

What is Regenerative Agriculture?<https://www.kpl.gov/event/what-is-regenerative-agriculture/>
Saturday, March 7 | 2 pm | Kalamazoo Nature Center, 7000 N. Westnedge Ave., Kalamazoo
A joint collaboration with the Kalamazoo Nature Center<https://naturecenter.org/>, the KVCC Food Innovation Center<https://www.kvcc.edu/valleyhub/>, the Kalamazoo Climate Crisis Coalition<https://wmich.edu/climatechange/kalamazoo-climate-crisis-coalition>, and Kalamazoo Public Library.

Roundtable: What is regenerative agriculture and how are some of our region’s farmers using this science-based approach to mitigate the impacts of climate change?

Reading Together Author Visit: Jonathan Safran Foer<https://www.kpl.gov/event/reading-together-author-visit-jonathan-safran-foer/>
Tuesday, March 10 | 7 pm | Chenery Auditorium, 714 S. Westnedge Ave.
Author Jonathan Safran Foer will discuss his book We are the Weather: Saving the Planet Begins with Breakfast. Please register<https://www.kpl.gov/event/reading-together-author-visit-jonathan-safran-foer/>.

Meet and Craft: Protest Art<https://www.kpl.gov/event/teen-meet-and-craft-protest-art/> (for Teens)
Wednesday, March 11 | 5 pm | KPL Central, 315 South Rose St., Kalamazoo
Mad about climate change? Wanna get the conversation going? Come to the library and design your own protest art! All supplies will be provided; you just need to bring your slogans and ideas. There will also be a special appearance from Students for a Sustainable Earth of WMU<https://wmich.campuslabs.com/engage/organization/sse>.

Librarians Talking About Cookbooks<https://www.kpl.gov/event/librarians-talking-about-cookbooks/>
Wednesday, March 11 | 7 pm | KPL Central, 315 South Rose St., Kalamazoo
& Monday, March 30 | 10:30 am | KPL Oshtemo Branch, 7265 W. Main St., Kalamazoo
Identical programs
Hear KPL librarians Caitlin Hoag and Bill Caskey talk about some of their favorite vegan and vegetarian cookbooks and websites.

Vegan 101 for Teens<https://www.kpl.gov/event/vegan-101-for-teens/>
Thursday, March 12 | 5 pm | KPL Central, 315 South Rose St., Kalamazoo
Vegan Kalamazoo<http://www.vegankalamazoo.com/> hosts a session at KPL for teens curious about healthy eating habits, the vegan lifestyle, the farm to table process, and its effect on the environment. Snacks provided. For ages 11–18. Registration required<https://www.kpl.gov/event/vegan-101-for-teens/>.

Nicole Kearsley is a Registered nurse, sidelined by an injury that left her unable to continue her career. Now, as a member of vegan Kalamazoo and cohost of Vegan Kalamazoo’s Health and Wellness discussion group, she advocates for a plant-based lifestyle by encouraging people to incorporate plant-based foods into their diet. With simple vegan recipes posted daily on several social media platforms, she showcases the wonderful world of plants and demonstrates how easy it is to prepare plant-based dishes. “If we can eat delicious food without harming animals, the environment or ourselves, why wouldn’t we?”

Climate in our Region, Past and Future<https://www.kpl.gov/event/climate-in-our-region-past-and-future/>
Thursday, March 12 | 7 pm | Friendship Village, 1400 N. Drake Rd., Kalamazoo
Join WWMT<https://wwmt.com/> meteorologist Keith Thompson as he talks about how West Michigan weather patterns have changed in the last several years. Then hear WMU<https://wmich.edu/> biology professor Dave Karowe talk about two possible climate futures for the Great Lakes region, one much better than the other.

Keith Thompson has been a television weathercaster at Newschannel 3 in Kalamazoo for 31 years, the last 25 years as Chief Meteorologist. Keith has a B.A. in Communication from Harding University, an M.A. in Communication from Western Michigan University, and he completed post-graduate study in the Broadcast Meteorology Program at Mississippi State University. He is a member of the American Meteorological Society and has won several awards for Best Weathercast from the Michigan Association of Broadcasters, as well as an Emmy for Best Weathercast from the Michigan Chapter of the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences. In 2018, Keith presented a paper at the annual meeting of the Association for Practical and Professional Ethics on ethical conflicts faced by local television weathercasters when deciding when/how to report on highly politicized scientific topics such as climate change.

Dr. David Karowe, a Professor of Biological Sciences at Western Michigan University, received his B.S. in Biology from Harvard University and his Ph.D. in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology from the University of Michigan.  Dr. Karowe teaches courses about the causes and consequences of climate change, conducts research on the effects of rising atmospheric CO2 on plants and higher levels in the food chain, and directs national undergraduate and graduate training programs in climate change research.

Over the course of his career, Dr. Karowe has received numerous grants from the National Science Foundation, U.S. Department of Agriculture, and Department of Defense in support of climate change research and training activities.  He has also published many scientific papers, given over 150 public climate change talks, and received several teaching awards.

Planting Seeds for Change<https://www.kpl.gov/event/planting-seeds-for-change/>
Saturday, March 14 | 2 pm | KPL Central, 315 South Rose St., Kalamazoo
A children’s art collaboration event with Peace Pizzazz<http://peacepizzazz.org/> inspired by the need to change our habits to aid a healthy environment. Join us between 2–4 pm to create art from recycled materials and explore books focused on peace, climate change and how to create a better future.

Peace Pizzazz<http://peacepizzazz.org/> is a growing group of people that work to bring peace to our children by teaching and demonstrating the Golden Rule. Its mission is to give the children of the Kalamazoo area the tools to create peace in their schools, homes, and playgrounds by teaching them to employ the Golden Rule as a way of peaceful conflict resolution.

How Can Plants and First Nations Help Us to Believe?<https://www.kpl.gov/event/how-can-plants-and-first-nations-help-us-to-believe/>
Monday, March 16 | 7 pm | KPL Central, 315 South Rose St., Kalamazoo
Jonathan Safran Foer tells us it’s not what we know but what we believe. We are beginning to understand that plants are intelligent, sentient beings, but do we believe it? If we do, does it change the way we relate to them and the gifts they provide us, including our food? What can we learn from Native Americans that would help us to believe? With retired WMU professor, author and environ-mentalist Tom Small.

Tom Small, retired WMU professor, has devoted his retirement to restoration of land and to educating about the importance of native plants. He is co-founder of the Kalamazoo Area chapter of Wild Ones<https://www.kalamazoowildones.org/>, Native Plants, Natural Landscapes, and co-author of Using Native Plants to Restore Community, now in its fourth printing. He writes extensively for various environmental journals.

Community Conversation About Climate Change<https://www.kpl.gov/event/community-conversation-about-climate-change/>
Thursday, March 19 | 10:30 am | KPL Eastwood Branch, 1112 Gayle Ave., Kalamazoo
Wednesday, March 25 I 6:00pm l KPL Washington Square branch, 1244 Portage St, Kalamazoo
Join fellow residents to talk about your aspirations and concerns for our community around the topic of climate change. Registration required<https://www.kpl.gov/event/community-conversation-about-climate-change/>.

Climate Change from a Faith Perspective with Pastor Nikki Smith<https://www.kpl.gov/event/climate-change-from-a-faith-perspective-with-pastor-nikki-smith/>
Saturday, March 21 | 10:30 am | Parchment Community Library, 401 S. Riverview Dr., Parchment
How does faith relate to caring for the environment? People from all faith traditions or no faith tradition are warmly invited to attend. Pastor Nikki Smith from Lutheran Church of the Savior (ELCA) will share her faith-based perspective on climate change. This will be followed by small group discussions to reflect and react from your own point of view using a Conversation Café “Lite” approach. Refreshments will be provided.

Also scheduled:
Climate Change from a Faith Perspective with Rabbi Simone Schicker
Thursday, April 23 | 7 pm | Parchment Community Library

Climate Change from a Faith Perspective with Imam Hafiz Nauman Akbar
Later this spring—time/date TBA | Parchment Community Library

Human Behavior and Climate Change<https://www.kpl.gov/event/human-behavior-and-climate-change/>
Monday, March 23 | 7pm |KPL Central Location, 315 S. Rose St., Kalamazoo
Addressing the climate emergency is the most critical issue of our time. Science has identified the changes we need to make to do this, and the dire consequences that will unfold if we do not. Why is it so difficult to change human behavior? Why is it hard to make better choices? This discussion will explore key insights—and challenges—of behavior change offered by behavioral science. With WMU Psychology professors Cynthia Pietras and Wayne Fuqua.

Cynthia Pietras (Ph.D.) is an Associate Professor of Psychology at Western Michigan University where she teaches classes on concepts of behavioral science and learning theory, and conducts behavioral research.  Her research and publications have focused on choice and decision making (including risky choice and self-control), social behavior (including cooperation and aggression), and how penalties and losses influence behavior.  Concerns about how human behavior is impacting the climate has led her to  examine how behavior science and our understanding of human decision making can be used to address global warming.  She has given presentations on behavior analysis and climate change at professional conferences, has taught a course on Climate Psychology at WMU, and is a member of the WMU Climate Change Working Group.

Wayne Fuqua (Ph.D., BCBA-D) is a Professor of Psychology at Western Michigan University where he served as the Chair of that Department for 14 years.  Dr. Fuqua’s research and scholarly interests span a range of topics including autism, health psychology, gerontology, dissemination of evidence-based practice, ethics, and behavioral approaches to sustainability and climate change.  His contributions have been recognized with several appointments and awards including:  certification as a Board Certified Behavior Analyst, Doctoral Level; election as a Fellow for the Association of Behavior Analysis; a Distinguished Service Award at WMU; the Jacobson Award from New York State ABA; and a term on the Michigan Autism Council.  He has produced a series of training videos that feature interviews and demonstrations with leaders in behavior analysis (wmich.edu/autism/resources).

Climate Reality: Building Resilience<https://www.kpl.gov/event/climate-reality-building-resilience/>
Friday, March 27 | 12 pm | Arcus Center for Social Justice Leadership, 205 Monroe St., Kalamazoo
Kalamazoo Township, City and County Commissioners recently passed climate emergency declarations. The realities of this crisis have implications for our mental health and general well-being. How can we move toward hope, resilience and adaptation by supporting each other, our children and ourselves in the face of potentially overwhelming fear, anger and grief?

Kalamazoo Earth Day Festival<https://www.kpl.gov/event/kalamazoo-earth-day-festival/>
Saturday, April 18 | 12 pm | Kalamazoo Farmer’s Market, 1204 Bank St., Kalamazoo
Celebrate Earth Day in Kalamazoo at the Kalamazoo Farmer’s Market<http://pfcmarkets.com/>.

About Reading Together
The purpose of Reading Together is to build a stronger community with deeper connections through the common experience of reading the same book and exploring its themes together. When we do that, we engage and learn, not only about ourselves, but more importantly about each other and the world around us.

By experiencing the same book, hearing the author of that work speak right here in Kalamazoo, and examining the book’s themes through a local lens, we are able to embrace our similarities and differences from a common point of reference.

Very simply, when we read together, we grow together.

####

Farrell Howe | Marketing & Communications Manager
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Kalamazoo Public Library | CEN
315 S. Rose St. | Kalamazoo, MI, 49007
(269) 553-7879
[Kalamazoo Public Library]<https://www.kpl.gov/>
[Facebook]<https://www.facebook.com/KalamazooPublicLibrary/> [Instagram] <https://www.instagram.com/kzoolibrary/?hl=en>  [Twitter] <https://twitter.com/KzooLibrary?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor>  [Youtube] <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcYzLAHao4uPeBV-peFrUxQ>