[Michlib-l] Sad news

Lisa Waskin lisaw at uproc.lib.mi.us
Tue Feb 18 09:43:18 EST 2020

Last Friday afternoon, we lost one of the shining stars of the Superior
District Library.  Pickford Community Library Manager, Ann Marie Smith,
passed away following a very brief battle with cancer.  Ann Marie was a
bigger-than-life personality in the Michigan library world, and she will be
missed by both our library family and the Pickford community.

The following is a tribute from her family...

"Dear Friends and Family,

Yesterday God welcomed home a new Angel. Ann passed calmly and quietly with
me in the privacy of her new apartment in the Faith Hospice at Trillium
Woods in Grand Rapids, MI. Ann was an extraordinarily private person to the
end. It was a privilege to be with her and after 65 years of being the
little brother, it seemed a fitting last trip on which to tag along.

Her end of life journey was one that she embraced with the same enthusiasm
with which she lived her entire life. Despite the cancer that took her life
so quickly, her relentlessly positive attitude, her endearing love for
others and her life gift of giving to and taking care of others was an
example that inspired and is worthy of imitation. Her chaplain at Trillium
perhaps summed it up the best. After his first meeting with her he went back
to his office and wondered if he had actually met an angel living on earth.

Ann will be buried next to her maternal grandmother in Gilmore township, MI.
We will have a private family ceremony there and will follow with a
celebration of life in Pickford. As we finalize arrangements we will keep
you all posted.

Thank you for your love and caring. Ann lived a beautiful life because she
was surrounded by beautiful family and friends.

Thank you.

Jenni, Kip and Kris

For cards and condolences please send them to Ann Marie Smith c/o Kip Smith,
5551 SW Mistletoe Lane, Palm City, FL 34990.

In lieu of flowers and in recognition of Ann's positive legacy in so
many communities and libraries, donations to Ann's passion, the Pickford
Community Library, or your local public library would be appreciated."

Lisa Waskin, Director

Superior District Library

541 Library Drive

Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783