[Michlib-l] Library of Things Barcoding Responses

Jonesville District Library jonesville at monroe.lib.mi.us
Fri Feb 28 11:28:24 EST 2020

Thank you to all who responded to my original request about how you barcode washable items in your "Library of Things" collections.

There were 12 libraries that responded.  It was pretty much split down the middle on how to barcode items.  Most use either:

  1.  a binder or file with pictures and barcodes of the items
  2.  a plastic bag or case with barcodes attached

Here are the basics from each response:
Cromaine has sports equipment that they write the barcode number on with a sharpie.
Ransom has cake pans they keep off site and a book with pictures and barcodes - a patron can browse and put in a request.
Adrian puts cake pans in puppet bags with barcodes on bag.  They also include a laminated sheet of basic instructions of icing a cake.
Houghton Lake puts their items such as cake pans, hotspots, and stem kits in barcoded cases.
Menominee County has 2 binders with pictures and barcodes.  They keep the actual items out of patron reach until selected from the binder.
Bayliss writes barcodes on cake pans using a sharpie - rewriting as needed.  They also use a binder with pictures and barcodes.
Herrick uses cases with tags that are zip-tied to the case.  They credit the idea from Capital Area District Library.
Howard Miller uses zippered totes with tags.
North Adams assigns their puppets a number and write it on the tag of the puppet.  A binder with the numbers and barcodes is at the circulation desk.
Dewitt uses bags with laminated barcodes zip-tied to it.
Three Oaks uses a card file with barcoded cards.  They have no markings on their cake pans and have had no issues so far.
Richfield Township uses a Binder with tabs and laminated sheets with barcodes.

I hope this info helps other libraries as much as it did for my library.  We have not started a "Library of Things" collection yet, but I hope to soon.  Love the idea of keeping the items in storage (out of patron reach) until needed.

Thanks again for all your responses!
-Laura Orlowski, director
Jonesville District Library