[Michlib-l] Personnel Comments

Membiela, Clare (MDE) MembielaC at michigan.gov
Fri Jan 10 16:54:44 EST 2020

Hello Anna:

This is very sticky. Particularly for public employers- like public library boards and municipalities.

In the government workplace there are considerations that may not apply in the private corporate or business workplace. Speech criticizing the government and public entities - employers or no- is among the most protected speech under the First Amendment.

However, there are some guidelines public employers can implement.

There are two separate forums to consider:

Social Media accounts owned by the employer
Use of employer equipment
Actions done during an employee's work hours

And

Employee personal social media accounts
Employee's personal equipment
Actions done during employee's personal time

Generally, public employers have to be careful in policies restricting employees' personal social media speech that is conducted outside of work hours on equipment owned by the employee.

I have listed below some links and information that may be helpful in crafting a policy. Two are different versions of the same paper. The other article ("Public Employer Social Media Article," above, please see page 10 and on).

I strongly encourage your board to have their attorney review any policy before implementation. This area is still very grey for public employers and an attorney can help draft a policy that will protect employee's First Amendment Rights while also protecting the employer.

Resources:

https://www.fosterswift.com/communications-Social-Media-Employers-Policy-Speech.html
http://www.ndaco.org/image/cache/Public_Employees_and_Social_Media.pdf
https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/01_social_media_policy.pdf
https://www.ctg.albany.edu/publications/social_media_policy/

I hope this is helpful!

Clare D. Membiela, MLS, J.D.
Library Law Consultant
Library of Michigan
MembielaC at michigan.gov<mailto:MembielaC at michigan.gov>
517-335-8132

The research and resources above are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem.

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D579DC.B445FFB0]
Family Matters is an outreach effort to equip families of children with disabilities by offering free information and resources.
Visit Family Matters<https://gcc01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.michigan.gov%2Fmde%2F0%2C4615%2C7-140-6598_88187_81739---%2C00.html&data=02%7C01%7CMembielaC%40michigan.gov%7C6b2f721525734743bc6608d748155e89%7Cd5fb7087377742ad966a892ef47225d1%7C0%7C0%7C637057128957252684&sdata=CfbGmpHjM%2BYipHBj37MRXs3Z%2B5AkjkbhNJCA5enJgwE%3D&reserved=0>, call OSE Information Line at 888-320-8384 or Email: mde-ose at michigan.gov<mailto:mde-ose at michigan.gov>.