[Michlib-l] Scaling back reopening or closing?

Kat Boyer librarykat.15 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 12:52:59 EDT 2020

We had something similar, I had an employee exposed (for an extended period
of time, and I am sure there was close contact) to someone who has COVID
and when I called our local Health Department I was told by no less than 3
people that its only a problem once that employee is diagnosed with COVID
themself.  I directly asked if I should shift services back and was told
no.  I was told to have the employee quarantine, and if they felt
symptomatic to have them get tested.  Then, if that person was positive
we'd just keep the quarantine chain going.  I was honestly pretty shocked.
I did close one day, because I got the information late last Friday and
wanted more time to speak to the Health Department and other officials.  I
also figured that if the employee was positive, all the library items they
touched should be COVID free after 3 days (including any items bagged up
for curbside) since that is our quarantine period. We scaled back services
on Tuesday, but then opened back up on Wednesday to our limited services.

I agree that the response seems to be just, odd and irresponsible.  It
doesn't make sense to act retroactively to the virus, but instead to be
proactive, even if that means backing down services slightly for a few
days.  The Health Department here acted like I was overreacting.  But that
has been their MO all along.  They literally told me on March 13 or 14 when
I called to ask about what we should do in concern for COVID getting here,
that they were "going to deal with it once it was here".

Kat Boyer
Director
Benton Harbor Public Library
213 E Wall St.