[Michlib-l] UiTM Webinar Recording: The Library Cooperative Model

Jim Flury jflury at tln.lib.mi.us
Wed Jul 29 09:59:43 EDT 2020

Good Morning,

On the night of Sunday, July 19 (Monday morning, July 20 if you happened to be in Malaysia) I took part in the UiTM International Webinar Series [ https://www.uitm.edu.my/index.php/en/ | https://www.uitm.edu.my/index.php/en/ ] delivering a presentation called the Library Cooperative Model: Maximizing Service to Patrons and Value to Member Libraries. Despite a few technical difficulties at the beginning, which are not present in the recording, and in the middle, which are, it went pretty well. Some 300 people in six countries (Malaysia, United States, Philippines, Thailand, Indonesia, and Nigeria, where it was 2:00 a.m.) attended this webinar.

Following a fair bit of back and forth, as a result of some difficulties both language and technology related, I was finally able to obtain the recorded edition of the webinar. The link is below. The recorded version of the webinar "should" begin if you click the box with the image of the follicly challenged person in it, and then click a couple of more times following that. If it doesn't start, and you still want to watch, please email me off list and I will work with you.

A few points to keep in mind when you consider whether to watch this recorded webinar:

***It is 65 minutes long.
***It is a PSA for what library cooperatives including TLN, can do and do do. That is what they wanted, and to quote the late Charlie Robinson, long-time director at Baltimore County Public Library, "Give 'em what they want." If you like library cooperatives, or even if you don't but still appreciate the value they offer, then you might get something from this recording. If not, well, then this would probably be one of those "there's an hour of my life I will never get back" kind of things.
***The person who makes a cameo appearance at the very end is my longtime (we met at UM library school in the 1980's) friend, Professor Sohaimi Zakaria. He requested my participation in this webinar series, as part of his ongoing efforts to improve and enhance public library service in Malaysia.

[ https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1WNvf9FWp67o8t4yCJQGL_fe5Xh-cwZFu | https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1WNvf9FWp67o8t4yCJQGL_fe5Xh-cwZFu ]

Have fun!

Jim Flury
Technical Services Manager