[Michlib-l] Homebound Delivery Service with volunteers

Janelle Bishop jmartin at lib.lapeer.org
Thu Jul 30 13:17:05 EDT 2020

Hey Everyone,
My library is investigating the possibility of delivering library materials
to homebound patrons specifically using volunteers to drop off items.  I
know there are libraries in Michigan that are already doing this, so I am
hoping people will share what they are doing already...

So if you do homebound services, I would greatly appreciate it if you would
answer some questions about this service. Also, tips, advice, examples of
forms and policies for this service are also welcome.

1. What criteria does a person need to meet to be considered homebound? Do
you require proof?
2. How do patrons initiate a request? Do they call the library and speak to
a specific person? Or can anyone help them? Is there a form that needs
filled out?
3. Do they check items out on their account at the library before you leave
the library and they have to show you their card when you drop the items
off? Or do you use their card to check the items out when you arrive at
their home?
4. If you are using volunteers to drop off items, are there any liability
issues with volunteers using their personal vehicles to do library work? Do
you carry extra insurance to cover this?
5. Screening volunteers: I am assuming you do background checks on
potential volunteers for this program, is there anything else you do to
screen them?
6. If using volunteers, what type of training do you provide them?
7. Anything else that I should be aware of?
Thank you so much in advance,
Janelle

Janelle (Martin) Bishop
Head of Fiction