[Michlib-l] Shifting the conversation

Cathleen A Russ C.Russ at troymi.gov
Wed Mar 18 09:51:45 EDT 2020

This is the time to think creatively. Are there plans you’ve been meaning to work on, i.e. marketing plan, collection plan, policies? Now is the time.

Wondering how to start an online book club? Now is the time.

If you are a Polaris user who uses LEAP, you can connect from home and start working on cleaning up your database, standardizing addresses, i.e. St vs Street vs ST vs whatever other abbreviation someone put in.

Readers Advisory! Read some books and post “Cathy’s top 5 recommendations while you are at home”. Film a little video of yourself booktalking them and post on social media. All librarians could do this.

I don’t know about the rest of you but there are so many things we at TPL don’t get around to, because we don’t have the time. Now we do. So we are doing them. The City of Troy currently has the policy that if part time staff don’t work, they aren’t paid. So my department heads and I brainstormed tons of ways we can keep them busy so we can keep them at home and still keep their paychecks coming. If full time staff don’t work, we have to use our personal time, and I am not going to do that while there is so much that can be done at home.

So think about what you have been meaning to/wanting to get around to, and do that. If you can delegate any of it to staff to keep them busy as well, please do it. I have a huge list of things we are working on, which I can share if you are interested, but this is a good start and I don’t want to bore you.

Good luck, everyone.

[/var/folders/c4/pn04drv965q2qlqx52sjgnvdhktm0j/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/cidimage001.png at 01D4C2D2.9B24D4F0]<https://troypl.org/>

Cathleen Russ | Library Director

510 W Big Beaver

Troy, Michigan 48084

248.524.3544

[/var/folders/c4/pn04drv965q2qlqx52sjgnvdhktm0j/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/cidimage002.png at 01D4C2D2.9B24D4F0]<https://www.facebook.com/troylib/> [/var/folders/c4/pn04drv965q2qlqx52sjgnvdhktm0j/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/cidimage003.png at 01D4C2D2.9B24D4F0] <https://www.instagram.com/troylib/>  [/var/folders/c4/pn04drv965q2qlqx52sjgnvdhktm0j/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/cidimage004.png at 01D4C2D2.9B24D4F0] <https://twitter.com/troylib>