[Michlib-l] It's Time for Online Learning!

Atkin, Evette (MDE) AtkinE at michigan.gov
Mon Mar 23 09:55:21 EDT 2020

Working from home? Library closed to the public? It's the perfect time to check out these free archived webinars. Stay current with these free opportunities!

Managing the Impact of COVID-19 on Nonprofits<https://www.techsoup.org/community/events-webinars/virtual-workshop-managing-the-impact-of-covid-19-on-nonprofits-2020-03-12>
The ongoing COVID-19 outbreak has impacted many aspects of our lives, from how we travel to how we carry out day-to-day interactions with those around us. But as nonprofits, our work continues, even in this period of uncertainty. Many people rely on us and the services that we provide to our communities, especially in times of crisis.
In order to continue serving your community during this outbreak, however, you may find the need to rapidly transition to working remotely rather than in an office.

Eliminating Fines: A win-win for your library and community<https://infopeople.org/civicrm/event/info?id=873&reset=1>
Libraries have traditionally charged overdue fines for three reasons: to generate revenue, to get materials back on time, and to teach responsibility. But what if all of these assumptions are wrong? It turns out they are! In this webinar, you will discover why these reasons are old fashioned, incorrect notions that create a barrier for many people. You will hear how eliminating fines can lead to an increase in library use and circulation, with no negative effects. Presenters Beth Crist and Meg DePriest will review the research and results from the growing number of libraries across the country that have ditched late fines and coaxed new and former users to their doors. They will discuss how to gather your libraries' data and patron stories to create advocacy tools. They will share talking points, tips, and an advocacy tool you can use to build a case to eliminate fines in your library. It's a win-win for your library and community!

Project Outcome: Taking Action Using the Results<http://www.ala.org/pla/education/onlinelearning/webinars/ondemand/takingaction>
You've surveyed your patrons. You've collected great data. You've learned more about what your patrons value. Now, how can you begin implementing changes based on the outcomes you've gathered? In this on-demand webinar, learn how your peers have taken action-and how you can, too-using results you've gathered from Project Outcome surveys. Use your survey results to guide programming changes, strategic planning, communication, advocacy, or new funding requests.

Cultivating Protective Factors for Safe Libraries and Resilient Communities<https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/protective-factors-safe-libraries.html>
Every day, public libraries open their doors to people facing ongoing life challenges, such as poverty, mental health symptoms, substance abuse, or domestic violence. The library may be the only protective place they can turn to, the only place that can counter the debilitating negative factors that govern their lives. Join this webinar to explore the ways the library functions as a "protective factor<http://publiclibrariesonline.org/2018/12/the-public-library-as-a-protective-factor/>" and to understand how the library, staff, and patrons exist within a community-wide context of safety. With consideration for how poverty, race, or other often stigmatized challenges impact the patron experience, learn practical and applicable ways to assess your library's relationship with patrons, local law enforcement, social workers, and other organizations. Hear how the Sacramento Public Library learned through crisis to address staff and community trauma and to build resilience through more compassionate and inclusive policies and practices.

Scams, Fraud and Identity Theft: How Libraries Can Help<https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/scams-fraud-and-identity-theft.html>
Consumers are faced with increasingly complex scams and schemes used to defraud millions of people each year. As libraries strive to increase the digital and information literacy skills of their patrons, and provide timely and effective strategies for fraud protection, keeping up with options for consumer protection can be overwhelming. This webinar will explore the free resources available in multiple languages and formats provided by the Federal Trade Commission<https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/features/librarians> (FTC) that can be used by your patrons to protect their identity and to recognize and avoid scams. You'll also hear how Johnson County Library<https://www.jocolibrary.org/> is partnering with local agencies to provide programs and resources to empower consumers in their community.

Evette M. Atkin
Continuing Education Consultant
Library of Michigan
atkine at michigan.gov<mailto:atkine at michigan.gov>