[Michlib-l] Plexiglass Barriers

John Rucker RuckerJ at branchdistrictlibrary.org
Wed May 13 16:05:07 EDT 2020

Hi all,

Here's another option for anyone looking to put barriers up at your
libraries. Pennzoni Display Company <https://www.pennzonidisplay.com/> in
Sturgis has been great with us. They sell a wide variety of acrylic
plexiglass products, including sneeze guards
<https://www.pennzonidisplay.com/sneezeguard.aspx>. They also sell "drum
booths" made of 6'x2' panels with hinges to allow you to have taller
barriers if you need them.

The edges are rounded off, not square and sharp like a piece of plexiglass
from the hardware store might be, and the hinges make it super easy to mix
and match the different sizes of plexiglass to custom make a wall with
pass-through openings of any arbitrary length. Depending on the shape you
come up with, it might be perfectly free-standing and self-supporting, like
a drum booth usually is. Or, you can use gaffer's tape, which is strong,
easy to work with, and leaves no residue when gently pulled off. (Gaffer
Power is a great brand. Some of the cheaper ones don't tear off the roll as
easily and do leave residue sometimes.)

Pennzoni can do tax-exempt, but cannot do purchase orders. So pre-pay with
a check or use a credit card. They were very responsive to email and phone
inquiries, and even helped me load more than 50 sheets of plexiglass into
my van when I went to pick it up. (We are close to Sturgis, they also ship
via FedEx.)

Attached are some shots of how we used these pieces to create barriers at
some of our service points. One word of caution: while assembling the 6'
sections is possible for one person, it really works better—and much
faster!—with two.

Be well!

John Rucker, Director
Branch District Library