[Michlib-l] Kanopy.com

Amelia Yunker ayunker at ssldl.info
Wed Nov 11 14:46:24 EST 2020

Popularity definitely increased this year compared to last year as a result
of the stay at home order. Active users Jan - November 2019 were about 50,
whereas Jan - Nov 2020 are almost 100 and monthly use (play credits)
likewise doubled. Our invoices each month currently average about $200,
with most play credits costing $2 each although there are some $5 per play
items. It works much like Hoopla where you are charged per play, with some
items marked as "credit free playing" since the pandemic began.

Kanopy is I think our only e-database where you have to create an account
and login first in order to browse their offerings, which is highly
annoying when trying to determine if they have something or when you're
demonstrating the service to a patron. They have some big name titles like
Lady Bird, Room, Man Called Ove, Moonlight, and Clue, but primarily a lot
of documentaries, independent and foreign films, older cinema, and some tv
shows through A&E and Great Courses. There's also a Kanopy Kids for kids
specific browsing. My impression is that you don't go into it specifically
looking for something, but it is more geared towards browsing. We
definitely have our "super users" (one person has watched 50+ items since
Jan. 1st) but about half of our users have viewed only two items since the
beginning of the year.

Amelia Yunker MLIS
Head of Adult Services
Salem-South Lyon District Library